AT&T Cellular Internet Access / Bluetooth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T Cellular Internet Access / Bluetooth

I have phoen service throug AT&T and I'm looking at switching my phone, I'd like to jump to a phone that supports bluetooth and internet access, I was wondering if any of you have any advice on phones that work well, use of wireless access etc.

I expect to use the phone for internet access from my Sony Clie using Bluetooth, occasional access froma CarPC (using bluetooth or a cable, suggestions?) and wireless internet from the phone itself.

Any thoughts/experiences/advice?

Chris.

I have AT&T, with a bluetooth (SE P800) cell phone. Are you looking at any particular phone? If you want a huge selection, I would just get an unlocked phone that can be used with any GSM carrier (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile..) It should be very easier to find a (factory) unlocked phone with bluetooth capabilities (sonyEricsson P900 anyone?)

I bought a USB dongle (Belkin F8T001, 100m range), however, even with the phone and comp paired, the PHONE does not offer the"Network Access" serviceI can share the comps internet connection with the phone when it is in range, but this is of no help to me, or to you.

Also something to consider, if you look in network connections within windows, you can see the amount of data being sent and received through your current internet device, even when your computer is idling. This means nothing to us now, but when it comes time to shell out about $2 per MB of cell phone data to AT&T, that could make your monthly bill skyrocket. I'm not sure if the computer has enough sense to regulate these issues when using a wireless external internet source.
    '03 Acura TL PC FINISHED!!
    MP3CAR

Comment

BT + GPRS + T-Mobile = Goodness. I never use the GPRS on my AT&T GSM.

Comment

The Bluetooth enabled phones from AT&T seem to be limited in number and pretty expensive, I'd have thought they'd promote is to get the increased air time. I haven't chosen a phone, I was trying to narrow the field to those with features I want then pick but all the BT phones look to be expensive.

I like the Samsung flip phone, a colleague has one and loves it, no BT though. I wonder if I could get a cable to give me internet access and skip the BT?

AT&T is really the way to go for me, I hear what you're saying but this way I never see my bill.!

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchris
          The Bluetooth enabled phones from AT&T seem to be limited in number and pretty expensive
          Chris.
          This is why I said to research "unlocked" cell phones They are not carrier-specific, which means that you can select ANY phone that is offered with either Cingular, AT&T, or T-Mobile (and even some that aren't offered by any; I got my SonyEricsson P800 3 months before it was seen in any wireless store in the states, direct from SonyEricsson).

Do a google search for "Unlocked GSM Phones" (with the quotes). Browse the available models, making sure that the phone will work in the US as well. If you don't want to purchase from a merchant web site, you can always go right to the manufacturer and order thru their online store.

Once you get your unlocked phone, just slap in the AT&T (or whatever carrier) SIM card and you're good to go!! The best part about an unlocked phone, is (if you get a phone that happens to be world/tri band) you can go to a convienence store in europe, pick up a localized SIM card, and make calls anywhere in the country you're in for local rates. Think of it like a built-in calling card "slot".

You can also sell the phone on eBay to anyone on any GSM carrier, as long as they have a SIM card to put in....

.....Now all you have to do is find a bluetooth phone
          MP3CAR

Comment

I have ATT wireless and a Nokia 3650 (GSM w/Bluetooth), and I dont have their wireless internet service (mMode)

Why, you ask?

It's too friggin expensive!

Their "Ultra" plan is an extra $20/month with an 8mb limit, and 0.6 cents per kb after that.

For a comparison to how little 8mb/month is, it is about 150 page views on this site, not counting the posts with pictures.
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
              I have ATT wireless and a Nokia 3650 (GSM w/Bluetooth), and I dont have their wireless internet service (mMode)

Why, you ask?

It's too friggin expensive!

Their "Ultra" plan is an extra $20/month with an 8mb limit, and 0.6 cents per kb after that.

For a comparison to how little 8mb/month is, it is about 150 page views on this site, not counting the posts with pictures.
              Yes it is a lot, most wireless GRPS providers charge around that ballpark range though.

However, also note that it is not 6 cents per extra KB, but rather .6 cents (as in six-tenths of ONE cent per KB)

THe prices are rediculous, and my only fear (since I also have a bluetooth GRPS enabled phone from AT&T, as well as a USB bluetooth dongle), is when I share my internet connection with my computer...

I think (that with the two devices paired, and sharing cell phone internet with my PC), just idling on Windows will still use valuable cell-phone megabytes since that really isn't an issue for most modern PCs with broadband access...right-click your internet connection in Network Connections, and on the properties page, just look at the amount of data sent and received, even when you are doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

I think war driving might be the way to go
              MP3CAR

Comment

GPRS cost is heavily covered at the Howard Forums. Right now, I'm posting this message thru T-Mobile Internet (GPRS). It's $19.99/mo for unlimited access and I sustain about 48 kbps down. I'm using a Sony Ericsson T68i over Bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kermee
                  GPRS cost is heavily covered at the Howard Forums. Right now, I'm posting this message thru T-Mobile Internet (GPRS). It's $19.99/mo for unlimited access and I sustain about 48 kbps down. I'm using a Sony Ericsson T68i over Bluetooth.
                  See, that's why i'm going to t-mobile. its the same price for internet, but you get unlimited (plus, I can finally get a bluetooth phone that works with phonecontrol.net---stupid nokia with their stupid non-standard protocols)
                  Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                  Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!
                  I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Well I live way down here in NZ, I pay NZ$5/mo (~US$3) for 1MB of GPRS access. My Car PC has a bluetooth connection to my SE T610, I went online, popped open MSN Messenger, chatted for a minute, opened the dial up connection box to check the traffic usage.. Uhh.. I was on 800kb and rising steadily. Windows was attempting to download the latest critical patches (carpc hadn't been online for about 6 months). Quickly disabled that feature.. But I'm sure windows is just full of things that like to suck traffic.

The internet was NEVER intended to have rediculous limits like 1MB, or even 8MB for that matter.. Just sitting in an instant messenger tends to chew through roughly 100k/min. Disgusting.

As a contrast, downtown in my city we have CafeNet, our city-wide WiFi network. It's charged at roughly NZ$0.20/MB (~US$0.13) so I'm perfectly happy to sit in town and read my emails, and I do.

Oh well
                    89 Celica, CarPC installed, 1st bday :)
                    http://www.fishy.net.nz/carpc/
                    • MediaEngine
                    • Epia V8000
                    • 80GB WD 7200RPM HD
                    • Xenarc 700TS
                    • SB Live
                    • Opus 90W
                    • CIMR100 remote
                    • Deluo serial GPS
                    • D-Link USB radio wired to power antenna

Comment

OrangePeel,

Block outgoing requests to port 80. That'll stop Windows Update, among other applications, from attempting to download the latest Critical Patches and other 'crap'. You can also go to the 'Control Panel', 'System', and 'Automatic Updates' and uncheck the first box to prevent Windows Update to constantly check.

Of course, you won't be able to browse the web unless you enable outgoing packets to port 80, but if you wan IM and such, that'll work.

Comment

Working...
                      X