Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Users - cheap tracking?

Just having a look at http://www.verilocation.com

I first saw it a few mo nths ago and thought about registering mine and the missus' phones in case one of us got kidnapped or something; then read on their website that one of their users accidentally left his phone in his car; the car got knicked and it was recovered because the phone was in the car.

This is 5 a month, can track 5 mobiles and is accurate to 50-100 metres. All you need is your old mobile wired under the dashboard

Beats on long term cost what I spent some of the weekend making, a VB app (based on some of Jamez Warners code) that uploads via GPRS to do this: http://www.stevieg.org/wheresmycar.php and a lot easier to make sure it works!!
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

interesting. it wont be long till all the US phones have GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by fondoo
      It doesn't work using GPS, it works using GSM cells, so it works indoors, etc; so if someone nicks your car and puts it in a garage you'll still have an idea of the location.

It's not as accurate though, it's apparently very good in cities, 50-100m, but in rural areas it's not so accurate due to fewer cell towers.

Here's what I got earlier, which is reasonably accurate (seeing as I'm inside the house and don't have a good signal), I would have to search a bit to find the car. I will be testing in a city centre (where I park my car all day!) to see how accurate it is there
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fondoo
        As Stevieg says, it's just triangulation using GSM It's roughly the same as the US is trying to use for e911.

As the US is now starting to get semi decent GPS networks, so this would become more and more possible. It won't work so well with TDMA as the concept of global point codes is slightly screwed up.
        06 Volvo XC90
        Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
        Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

Comment

this is sweet - post more results. Is it free to do the lookup online? ie: I could use it for tracking?
          what is involved with registering? do I need a SIM card?
          James
          www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

I think 3 are bringing out a 3G phone with a GPS reciever in - could come in useful if you can set the phone to send its GPS or GSM/3G position to you if you send it a text witht he right code.

Comment

could probably do that as a java app....
              www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
                this is sweet - post more results. Is it free to do the lookup online? ie: I could use it for tracking?
                what is involved with registering? do I need a SIM card?
                James
                need a sim card, you get 10 traces a month for 5 quid

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                  Beats on long term cost what I spent some of the weekend making, a VB app (based on some of Jamez Warners code) that uploads via GPRS to do this: http://www.stevieg.org/wheresmycar.php and a lot easier to make sure it works!!
                  Do you really think it's so much better? I was thinking about the same type of thing you created there, not that I have a gprs phone yet, though!
                  Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                    Do you really think it's so much better? I was thinking about the same type of thing you created there, not that I have a gprs phone yet, though!
                    I think the cell-phone locator isn't amazing, but it's cheap!

I was thinking about using the Car PC for tracking it if it's stolen but for that kind of security I'd need to have a supplementary battery, a decent phone/pc card to leave in their permanently, and ideally a welded up box under the car with the car pc in to make sure it can't be tampered with.

I think I will be keeping an old phone somewhere hidden to be on the safe side, I might also wire up a relay to the courtesy light of something wired into the call button, so when the car door is opened it will dial my personal mobile - to make sure I know it's gone missing!

Comment

Yeah, I realised just after I wrote it, that for theft, it's better to miss out the computer bit and just have a standalone unit. I still like the software tracking for fun, though.
                      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

what i would really lik is for my car to send me a text message or something when the alarm goes off....

i know there are systems available which use a pager etc, but they have limited range (ie you have to be within a certain distance from the car)

how would i go about doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
                          what i would really lik is for my car to send me a text message or something when the alarm goes off....

i know there are systems available which use a pager etc, but they have limited range (ie you have to be within a certain distance from the car)

how would i go about doing that?
                          I was thinking as I was going to permanently wire an old phone in the car it wouldn't be much trouble to do the following:

Dial you phone number on the mobile to keep in the car

Attach two wires to the 'call' keypad connections

Attach the other ends to a relay, and put the relay in-line on the alarm out

So in theory when the alarm went off it would dial the last called number (your mobile) , so if your alarm went off your phone would ring.

It's simple but of course it doesn't require any extra hardware, dunno if it works though

Comment

stevieg,

Didnt know you have interest in tracking.

Im too working one out :

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26287

So far I can transmit the GPS's NMEA $GPRMC sentence through a burst of tone at 300 baudrate using a PIC MCU. The $GPRMC contains the basic info for navigation which is more than enough for locating the car. The PIC is also acting as a phone modem running at 300 buadrate...it is slow but I think its more than enough for tracking.

Im still in progress of getting the whole thing to work on real phones.

I think I will be keeping an old phone somewhere hidden to be on the safe side, I might also wire up a relay to the courtesy light of something wired into the call button, so when the car door is opened it will dial my personal mobile - to make sure I know it's gone missing!

Thats my final goal, the PIC is to send a command to the phone via data cable and text a preprogrammed mobile number when the alarm has gone off or something. To do a live tracking you simply call the number of the tracking phone...this will then continue to send the location to the calling phone thats connected to the PC with a mapping softwares. Of course this tracking phone is hidden somewhere with a backup battery perhaps. It is even possible to control the car PC by texting the phone.

Anyway until I get a good reliable transmission of the $GPRMC I wont be doing anything more...just a thought anyway

But in the meantime if you have any more ideas or progress on what you do please let us know.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                              stevieg,

Didnt know you have interest in tracking.

Im too working one out :

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26287
                              Yeah, I've been following it since it started, but not knowing much about these PIC modules (apart from following links on the thread!) I thought best leave alone!

Originally posted by Ricky327

So far I can transmit the GPS's NMEA $GPRMC sentence through a burst of tone at 300 baudrate using a PIC MCU. The $GPRMC contains the basic info for navigation which is more than enough for locating the car. The PIC is also acting as a phone modem running at 300 buadrate...it is slow but I think its more than enough for tracking.

Im still in progress of getting the whole thing to work on real phones.

Originally posted by stevieg

Thats my final goal, the PIC is to send a command to the phone via data cable and text a preprogrammed mobile number when the alarm has gone off or something. To do a live tracking you simply call the number of the tracking phone...this will then continue to send the location to the calling phone thats connected to the PC with a mapping softwares. Of course this tracking phone is hidden somewhere with a backup battery perhaps. It is even possible to control the car PC by texting the phone.

Anyway until I get a good reliable transmission of the $GPRMC I wont be doing anything more...just a thought anyway

But in the meantime if you have any more ideas or progress on what you do please let us know.

TIA
                              When you've got that working I'll probably make a copy of it, sounds an interesting project and more accurate (and just as reliable) as the cell-phone triangulation. I think a lot of people like us want the tracking but would rather build it ourselves than buy a 800 of the shelf item as long as we can trust it!

I've also got GPRS working and written an application to upload the location every 20 seconds to a web site. However that's not a real solution as they could just rip out the carpc!!! I'll be releasing the source (web app/carpc app) when I've finished however it does require working GPRS on the CarPC

Comment

Working...
                              X