o2 GPRS Pay as you Go (UK) might be free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o2 GPRS Pay as you Go (UK) might be free

Just fitted GPRS to my CarPC and the only spare SIM I had was an O2 Pay as You Go; while working out how to get connected it seems that the GPRS net access is free;

This is the link detailing the settings to use:

http://www.esato.com/archive/t.php/t-55252

I've got connected vin the Car PC and so far the phone credit hasn't went down; however it seems too good to be true.

On the o2 website, it says GPRS is free:

http://www.o2.co.uk/productsservices...0,,112,00.html

But it also says 'After the 1st April 2004. After this date it will be charged as you use at approximately 2p for 10 kilobytes, this is the size of a typical page. The cost of downloading a page will be rounded up to the nearest penny. For information this equates to £2.35 per megabyte.'

Even so £2.35 is cheaper than Oranges PAYG £4 a meg.

The confusing thing is even though I thought it wasn't free anymore I'm not getting charged, yet.

Anyone know any more on this?
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

im gonna have a go at this then... just gotta find an O2 sim

nice

tom.

Comment

Oh my god...its free?

This remind me of the good old chipped philips savvy.

I need to find a GPRS card first...recommend any good one?

Comment

Don't know how long it's free for and don't plan to abuse it too much to make sure they don't catch on and block me.

So far haven't been charged for any usage (about 100K this morning on the way to work to test my traffic application) but it does say on their website that they discontinued free GPRS on PAYG in April

I'm using my old Motorola T720 with a data cable into my Car PC

Comment

right i have a PAYG o2 simcard,and i got on o2.co.uk and they sent a text to my fone which supposedly automatically sets up GPRS.. but it still doesent work.
          what awm are u using? payandgo.o2.co.uk?

this is on my sony erricson T610 using bluetoothlink,altho it dosent work straight on the fone either..

tom.

Comment

Hmmmm, £10 to get a card, 30 days before GPRS is activated, and a minimum £10 top up every month.

And free GPRS not guaranteed.

I'm tempted but seeing as it's not guaranteed and I don't have a GPRS phone

Comment

Originally posted by mutilator
              right i have a PAYG o2 simcard,and i got on o2.co.uk and they sent a text to my fone which supposedly automatically sets up GPRS.. but it still doesent work.
              what awm are u using? payandgo.o2.co.uk?

this is on my sony erricson T610 using bluetoothlink,altho it dosent work straight on the fone either..

tom.
              You need to get it working on the phone first I reckon.

I have the following settings:

Homepage: http://wap.o2.co.uk
              Session Mode: Permanent
              Connection Security: Off
              Data Bearer: GPRS
              GPRS Connection: When Needed
              GPRS Access Point: payandgo.o2.co.uk
              Ip Address: 193.113.200.195
              Authentication Type: Normal
              Login Type: Automatic
              User name: payandgo
              Password: password

On the modem device I used the instructions here:
              http://www.o2.co.uk/productsservices...structions.pdf

Substituting the mobile.o2.co.uk settings for the payandgo settings

Then I set the Proxy server to 193.113.200.195 on port 80

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                Hmmmm, £10 to get a card, 30 days before GPRS is activated, and a minimum £10 top up every month.

And free GPRS not guaranteed.

I'm tempted but seeing as it's not guaranteed and I don't have a GPRS phone
                I wouldn't have got it just on the information alone, but I was given the SIM card and was already going to use Orange GPRS anyway; I'll enjoy it while it lasts

Comment

wel thanks stevie g, ill test that tonight.
                  tom.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                    I wouldn't have got it just on the information alone, but I was given the SIM card and was already going to use Orange GPRS anyway; I'll enjoy it while it lasts
                    I haven“t completely dismissed the idea, I ju“st need to acquire a GPRS compatible phone first, and then I might be prepared to “waste“a tenner on the sim, and give it a try.

£2.35 per MB otherwise. Ok for uploading GPS data. Not sure about suffing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                      I haven“t completely dismissed the idea, I ju“st need to acquire a GPRS compatible phone first, and then I might be prepared to “waste“a tenner on the sim, and give it a try.

£2.35 per MB otherwise. Ok for uploading GPS data. Not sure about suffing though.
                      I have tried to surf web pages; it's pretty slow. I'm using it to download traffic data (automatically via an app), however when you're driving at 60mph+ it takes a while, the connection speed seems to drop considerably, as it takes about 30 seconds to download about 40KB!

Comment

i got it workin on GPRS wap for a while, but it kept sayin invalid GPRS carrier or somesuch nonesense when i tried connecting through the computer
                        now it dosent even work on wap anymore :S
                        tom.

Comment

this thing stil live?

Comment

Originally posted by mutilator
                            this thing stil live?
                            Still works for me on my phone and still free...

Still having problems? Will copy all my settings down for you if you want?

Comment

well origonallyi gotfreewap, now i dont get anythin, it just says insufficiant credit.

Comment

Working...
                              X