Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

these orinoco cards are all only 11b, right? what card to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• these orinoco cards are all only 11b, right? what card to buy?

I'm looking online at these orinoco gold & silver cards (and external usb ones) that quite a few people here seem to be using, and I see that they're 11b, not 11g. Sorry, I'm not completely up to speed on the 802.11x stuff, but I thought 11g was the best (newest, best signal, best range, etc). Is this incorrect? If 11g is better, I'm just trying to understand why a lot of people here are still messing around with these 11b devices...is it just because the orinoco's work with netstumbler, is that the sole reason?

bottom line is, I'm trying to figure out what wireless card (internal or external) to purchase for in my car. My main goal is wireless connectivity with a wireless router in my house, but I wouldn't mind being able to use netstumbler as well.

i mean, won't something like this netgear wg121 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-008&depa=1 or this D-Link DWL-G520 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-118&depa=1 work with netstumbler under Windows XP?

if not, can anyone tell me of any 11g cards that you do have working with netstumbler under XP?

thanks.

orinoco's are good cards ... work with netstumbler ... and are easy to hook external antennas to.

but yes they are only b... last i checked orinoco made a pcmcia g card ... but no usb yet.

i'm holding off for the same reason.
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Just got my 11g card today. It is a internal PCI card that I bought for super cheap at Acortech. I just sent back my opus today too because it doesn't work right so I don't know how well the card works. I really don't see the big deal with having an external USB card and I wanted 11g so that is why I decided to pay $24 for the one I got.
      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Where did you get your card from, do you have a link?
        Installed
        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
          Where did you get your card from, do you have a link?
          Link
          I think I used a coupon code to get free shipping. They ship fast so I am pretty happy with the company.
          Installed.

Comment

most people go for usb over pci because of lack of room. using the m10000 there's only 1 pci slot available (though you could use a 2 PCI riser card) ... but a lot of people have real tight enclosures so there's no room...
            My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
              most people go for usb over pci because of lack of room. using the m10000 there's only 1 pci slot available (though you could use a 2 PCI riser card) ... but a lot of people have real tight enclosures so there's no room...
              Good point. I have 4 slots and didn't use any until I got this card..
              Installed.

Comment

802.11g is faster, at 54Mbps (theoretically), and even then the maximum speed is only archieavable on short ranges, at longer distances the speed will be the same 11Mbps as 802.11b. Also, USB 1.1 speed is just 12Mbps, so you would need an USB 2.0 interface and adapter to take full advantage of 802.11g. The thing about the Orinoco cards is that they are good, reliable, the driver is stable and they have good range. I am in the process of upgranding my network from 802.11b to 802.11g; for now I have both D-Link (DWL-650) and Orinoco (silver) PC-Cards (I don't use USB), and the Orinoco range is way better, and it is very stable. My D-Link sometimes looses connection and refuses to reestablish it unless I eject and then replug the card, and the Orinoco that runs on the server never missed a beat.

Comment

My Netgear 802.11g card works just fine with netstumbler... havent had a problem finding stuff yet... Is there something else that the program is supposed to do?
                  Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

Nope. But earlier versions of netstumbler didn't work with nearly as many cards. Support is pretty good now, But there are still some cards that aren't supported.
                    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
                    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

The new version of netstumbler supports alot of devices. My netgear ma101 (freebie from friend) is supported, no ext. antenna connection but that can be fixed. I think most cards will work with netstumbler, its just other applications that need specified chipsets, airSnort, Etheral, etc etc
                      CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                      Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Working...
                      X