Audio interference from my WiFi card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio interference from my WiFi card

I've been building my carputer over the last week in the house. Yesterday I picked up a SMC2532W-B High Powered (200mw) wireless PC Card. I plugged it into the cardbus slot on my EPIA MII-10000, and now I'm getting interference in my audio/speakers. You can here the buzzing of data being generated by the card even if you mute the audio, or plug in regular headphones. The funny thing is that it doesn't do it in the rear and sub/center channels.

This WiFi card allows you to remove the antenna (the black thing that sticks to the end of the card). When I unplug it, the interference goes away... which is what I expected. The card still has enough range to transmit without it.

Does this sound like an issue with the motherboard, or is the 200mw card just too close to the audio outputs? What I don't get is why it only does it to the front speakers.
    Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
    Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

I borrowed a friends external antenna, and as I suspected there was no noise coming from the speakers. Does anyone with a EPIA that has a PCMCIA slot with a wireless network adaptor notice any of the issues that I've described?

Would I be better off with an omni-directional or directional antenna? I prefer not to have anything external (outside the car) by the way.
    Carputer progress meter: [-----|]
    Carputer gadget meter: [--|---]

Comment

If you're only going to be syncing with the network in your house (and you always park in roughly the same spot), then get yourself a nice powerful directional antenna, and put it in your house, pointing towards the car Or you couple place it in the car pointing at the house, if you always park in the same place, pointing the same way

If you will want to try to pick up multiple networks, from all around, get an omni-directional antenna, as it will increase your range in all directions.

Garry
      Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
      www.aimee.cc

Comment

I got this very same problem. Different Mobo and card though. I am only getting interference on my front speakers. I might try just taking off my antenna as I have a directional antenna in the house, but I would love to keep my antenna so I could pick up my schools wireless network when I goto class and the such. Any other solutions? My card is grounded also, I might try to ground it a lil better though.
        -Merc
        1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
        [:::::::::.]99.9%
        Working On: Fixing wireless network interference
        Specs: 8.4inch vga touch, 1.?? ghz, 256 DDR, 4gig OS HD, 120gig Media HD, opus

Comment

anyone?
          -Merc
          1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
          [:::::::::.]99.9%
          Working On: Fixing wireless network interference
          Specs: 8.4inch vga touch, 1.?? ghz, 256 DDR, 4gig OS HD, 120gig Media HD, opus

Comment

I have a MII 12000 board with the PCMCIA slot on it. I get the exact same problem. The card auto seeks every couple of minutes and I get the annoying buzzing in the audio.
            I don't know if there is a fix for it, would like to know if there was but I guessing there isn't

Comment

Working...
            X