How to make this work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make this work

Signing up for T-Mobile unlimited internet access. They want to sell me the card listed below. Will it work in my carputer? If not, is there an adapter??

Morex 3688
    VIA EPIA M10000

http://www.t-mobile.com/products/ove...272&class=data
    Kenwood KVT-911DVD
    Sony XVM-R75
    Morex 3688
    VIA EPIA M10000
    512mb DDR
    Windows XP Pro
    Linksys Wireless-G

It's PCMCIA. You can get a PCI -> PCMCIA adapter. If you've already used the PCI slot on your M10000 you can get a USB -> PCMCIA adatper. I don't know where you could buy just a PCMCIA -> USB adapter but there's one inside my Orinoco USB wLAN adapter.
    My Install Thread
    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
    How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Thanks.

I haven't used the pci slot, but I wonder if the pci to pcmcia adapter will fit inside my Morex case.

Can anyone suggest a small adapter?
      Kenwood KVT-911DVD
      Sony XVM-R75
      Morex 3688
      VIA EPIA M10000
      512mb DDR
      Windows XP Pro
      Linksys Wireless-G

Comment

How often are you planning to surf in your car? Or is this business related?
        If you don't surf much... Save yourself some money. Phones with datacables can do exactly what this thing is doing.

Search the web or here a bit and I think you know what I mean.

Comment

PCMCIA to USB
          My Install Thread
          digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
          How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

if i didn't have my sprint cellphone with unlimited internet i would totally go for this kind of thing. Just use take the pcmcia card everywhere you go. Use it in your car while your in it, and in your laptop while your out of the car.
            Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
            Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
            S2000 Carputer

Comment

I currently have AT&T for my cellphone service but their data rates are ridiculous. I want to keep AT&T for my phone because I need the coverage and I am currently under contract. I am able to connect my Motorola V600 to my carputer via bluetooth with my AT&T service, but as I mentioned above, the rates are unreasonable.

Maybe a cheap phone from T-Mobile with bluetooth is what I need? Could be cheaper than buying the card and adapter from T-Mobile. Then I would just use the T-Mobile phone for connecting to my PC for internet access only.

P.S. T-Mobile offered the PCMCIA card to me for $125.00 (A good price from what I can tell.)
              Kenwood KVT-911DVD
              Sony XVM-R75
              Morex 3688
              VIA EPIA M10000
              512mb DDR
              Windows XP Pro
              Linksys Wireless-G

Comment

Originally posted by milleda31
                I currently have AT&T for my cellphone service but their data rates are ridiculous. I want to keep AT&T for my phone because I need the coverage and I am currently under contract. I am able to connect my Motorola V600 to my carputer via bluetooth with my AT&T service, but as I mentioned above, the rates are unreasonable.

Maybe a cheap phone from T-Mobile with bluetooth is what I need? Could be cheaper than buying the card and adapter from T-Mobile. Then I would just use the T-Mobile phone for connecting to my PC for internet access only.

P.S. T-Mobile offered the PCMCIA card to me for $125.00 (A good price from what I can tell.)
                That's a pretty good price for the card. But don't forget you'll have to pay $100 monthly charge for the data access. Using the phone will only cost you what ever plan you signed up with.

Comment

"That's a pretty good price for the card. But don't forget you'll have to pay $100 monthly charge for the data access. Using the phone will only cost you what ever plan you signed up with."

$29.95 a month for unlimited access is what I was quoted.
                  Kenwood KVT-911DVD
                  Sony XVM-R75
                  Morex 3688
                  VIA EPIA M10000
                  512mb DDR
                  Windows XP Pro
                  Linksys Wireless-G

Comment

"That's a pretty good price for the card. But don't forget you'll have to pay $100 monthly charge for the data access. Using the phone will only cost you what ever plan you signed up with."

$29.95 a month for unlimited access is what I was quoted.
                    If that's for unlimited data on 3G network. Then go for it... I don't see any downside to it.

Comment

Signing up for T-Mobile unlimited internet access. They want to sell me the card listed below. Will it work in my carputer? If not, is there an adapter??

Morex 3688
                      VIA EPIA M10000

http://www.t-mobile.com/products/ove...272&class=data
                      Netgear 54Mpbs Wireless PC Card
                      Netgear WG511 54Mpbs Wireless PC Card

Suitable for use directly in the Cardbus reader of the EPIA MII, or your favourite laptop - up to 54Mbps (802.11g) wireless connectivity with support for 802.11b, hardware-based 40/64 and 128-bit WEP encryption, up to 300 feet operating range. 120 x 54 x 5 mm with integrated Microstrip dual diversity antennas, 40g weight and CardBus Type II specification 32-bit data bus.

I have the same spec morex as you. just push it in and watch it find your network.

Comment

the 30/month is for gprs, not 3g...basically similar to dialup...still worth it when you factor what the competition costs...its 20 if you have a tmobile voice plan

Comment

Originally posted by st3w4rt
                          Netgear 54Mpbs Wireless PC Card
                          Netgear WG511 54Mpbs Wireless PC Card

Suitable for use directly in the Cardbus reader of the EPIA MII, or your favourite laptop - up to 54Mbps (802.11g) wireless connectivity with support for 802.11b, hardware-based 40/64 and 128-bit WEP encryption, up to 300 feet operating range. 120 x 54 x 5 mm with integrated Microstrip dual diversity antennas, 40g weight and CardBus Type II specification 32-bit data bus.

I have the same spec morex as you. just push it in and watch it find your network.
                          That is just for WIFI access, okay if your near one. The card that was referred to above refer to cell phone towers to get internet, slightly different.

Also, with the morex case you cannot use the PCI Slot so you have to get either a USB reader as mentioned or get a new/different motherboard, the MII series has CardBus built on.
                          Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
                          GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

Working...
                          X