Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ideas for increasing wifi signal from within trunk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas for increasing wifi signal from within trunk?

i have my computer inside my trunk and the signal is pretty low when parked in my driveway
    im using the stock rubber duck antenna on a belkin 54g pci card

any ideas on increasing the signal?

putting the antenna outside the car would be best but im looking for a cleaner, more permenant solution
    2004 G35 Coupe project

What about multi-linking? I was thinking of trying that now that I have two of the same dell G cards.
    Stop Buying New Music CD's.
    Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Here is what I did. I took a cheap 802.11g card, and cut the wire going to the little stupid anteanna. Then I got one of those 2 feet high magnecic mount Antennas, (It was off a torn down cell phone tower) and tuned it by cutting it to the right length. I then spliced the cabels together. Some radio enthusiests will swear that a 5 min splice is a horrible thing, but in your situation, it will reduce your range by about 4 inches.

You splice a coax cable by first removeing the outer coverang by about 1.5 inches on each wire. Then you push back the metal 'fabric' grounding around the cable. cut about a 1/4 of an inch off of the inner wire and insolation. This is so that the grounding meshes will meet. Then strip the inner insolation wires, and solder. Carefully wrap electrical tape in the aria where the innter insolation is gone, so that it meets in highet with the inner dielect. After that, push the two meshes together, and wrap with electrical tape
      Enjoy
      Every day driver, 1989 Celica. Probly won't get a carpc for a while

Working on: 1972 240z. Gonna put a V8 and a Turion in it. Best power in bothworlds. Now if only I could get my theoretical boot as low as my theroretical 1/4 mile time (8.22 s)

Comment

Or just buy an antenna off of E-Bay, the one I got increased my signal alot! Although others say it was crap, with no antenna i picked up 0 ap's with the black rubber antenna I picked up two AP's and with the magnetic mount 5.5db I picked up 4 from my driveway all with stronger signal then with the black rummer maid one. Try it and see if it works, mine was about $18 shipped!
        CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
        Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Getting a magmount or permanent mount antenna will be the best and likely only solution to your problem, the trunk is a big metal shell which tends to block RF signals.
          System status: in progress

Comment

i ended up getting a mag mount antenna but because of theft and wire routing issues, ive put it on the rear window deck

havent tested yet but im expecting a better signal (not as good as outside the car but better)

even with the rubber duck antenna inside the trunk i picked up 63 APs in the 4 miles i drive to school
            2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Originally posted by aoLhaTer
              i ended up getting a mag mount antenna but because of theft and wire routing issues, ive put it on the rear window deck

havent tested yet but im expecting a better signal (not as good as outside the car but better)

even with the rubber duck antenna inside the trunk i picked up 63 APs in the 4 miles i drive to school
              You really think some geek is going to steal your little 802.11 antenna? I have one (off ebay). I pop it out on demand. I have a Orinoco Gold Classic card w/USB adapter in the glove box connected to the hub.

I doubt your antenna will work very well in your rear window deck unless it's metal. Most mag mount antennas are "mag" mount for a reason. It needs to be grounded (body metal = ground)
              My Install Thread
              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
              How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

My mag mount from fabcorp.com works almost as good in my back seat as it does on the roof. It has 0 degree downtilt so that my have a lot to do with it.
                [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

or a better idea is to buy a cheap car like mine, made out of mostly plastic. Seems to be transparent to most signals . Hell. i live in san antonio, and i can pick up radio stations in Houston, there has to be an explaniation for that one.

Edit:

oh yea, to answer your question, i believe radioshack sells signal repeaters. And most WiFi routers now can repeat signals.
                  Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

Look man, i have a full size (all metal) dodge ram 1500 pickup. I bought a mini USB 802.11b unit and ran it in the dash board (inside) at the top toward the front. I get a great signal, if you dont you'll find its probaly the placment of your wireless router inthe home, it needs to be placed near the side of the home as your parking... Also the usb GPS unit can be placed in the same place and works great also..

Chuck
                    www.XionElectronics.com

**MY NEW STORE** Come Visit

Comment

Originally posted by ppgt94
                      You really think some geek is going to steal your little 802.11 antenna? I have one (off ebay). I pop it out on demand. I have a Orinoco Gold Classic card w/USB adapter in the glove box connected to the hub.

I doubt your antenna will work very well in your rear window deck unless it's metal. Most mag mount antennas are "mag" mount for a reason. It needs to be grounded (body metal = ground)
                      Just a slight CLARIFICATION. 1/4 wave Mag mount, which in actuality, are what are called Ground Wave antennas, need a reflector to work at stated specs. This reflector is metal, and generally has to be a size equal to the wavelength of the antena in size. There are some ways around this, but in this situation, you would be using a 1/4 wave antenna. The equation to determine length for a 1/4 wave antenna is 234/frequency in megahertz=length of 1/4 wave antena in feet. So 234/2400=.0975 feet, or 1.17 inches. As long as you have about 2.34 inches diameter of metal under the antenna, whether the antenna is "STUCK" to it or not, you should be o.k. Even without the metal, the antenna will work better then when in the trunk, just not to specs, or as well as it could.

Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

where is your access point situated?
                        CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

Originally posted by cheerio
                          or a better idea is to buy a cheap car like mine, made out of mostly plastic. Seems to be transparent to most signals . Hell. i live in san antonio, and i can pick up radio stations in Houston, there has to be an explaniation for that one.

It's a plastic car uprising!

Compusa has a nice omni directional antenna with 3 diffrent connectors for diffrent wireless cards. I've been testing it in the car with good results. I am thinking of just mounting it with a suction cup in the back window. Works a whole lot better than one of those little tiny mag mount antennas from ebay.
                          肚子笑痛了
                          S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                            It's a plastic car uprising!
                            Get 'em while you can. The 2006's are going to be steel body. The plans are in the works right now to completely re-tool the plants in Spring Hill.
                            www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

Using Netstumbler's SNR graphs can be really helpful in finding a optimal location and orientation (completely vertical worked best for me).
                              My Install Thread
                              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                              How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Working...
                              X