Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Bluetooth experts here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Bluetooth experts here?

    Hi,

    Im looking to make my phone connect via bluetooth to the PC, ultimately to use MS dialer so I can make phone calls, effectively use my computer and audio system as a hands free kit.

    Up to Now
    1. I have managed to get the bluetooth dongle (Sitecom CN-500) to work with XP Pro SP2
    2. I have installed and can fully use Nokia PC Suite 4.88 for my phone 6310i

    What I can't do (understand)
    1. Why is there a plethora of new COM devices under Ports (Device Manager)
    Currently 15,16,17,18 - what are these for?

    2. I entered a phone number into dialer and it asked me to configure a modem??????

    3. When in Bluetooth places there is a list of features? for my phone and list of features for my Computer - the only 1 I seem to be able to use is the Headset which makes a stable connection for about 30 seconds then disconnects, this process places the headset icon on my phone

    Is my ultimate goal acheivable or do I need a better phone / different software?

    Any help appreciated as i've been at this for 3 days and only started to get somewhere but nowhere near where I want to be.

    Cheers
    if you can't find time to do it right, when are you gonna find time to do it over.

  • #2
    I've used the built-in XP SP2 drivers, and had no issues.

    IIRC correctly, I installed the dongle, added the bluetooth device, then added a new dial up connection selecting in the modem list something similar to 'bluetooth dial up connection' or 'bluetooth modem' and it did the business.
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

    Comment


    • #3
      You currently make a data-connection to your phone. What you want to do is set up an audio-gateway. The problem is that most phones only accept one bt-connection so when you have an audio-gateway connection you can't control your phone thru a data-connection. This is what I found out with my SE-phones. What I am going to do is to place one of my phones permanently in my carkit which is somewhere out of sight and control my phone with my CarPC using bluetooth.

      Comment


      • #4
        Also SP2 built-in drivers don't have an audio gateway
        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by stevieg
          I've used the built-in XP SP2 drivers, and had no issues.

          IIRC correctly, I installed the dongle, added the bluetooth device, then added a new dial up connection selecting in the modem list something similar to 'bluetooth dial up connection' or 'bluetooth modem' and it did the business.
          Does this allow the computer to work like a headset, you choose to answer / reject a call?

          Also on your phone bill does the call get treated like an ordinairy call or is it a Data call which I presume is more expensive, not sure if these are actually valid questions but when you start talking about Dial up connections it makes we wonder

          Cheers
          if you can't find time to do it right, when are you gonna find time to do it over.

          Comment


          • #6
            The phone company knows nothing about the bluetooth capability of your phone and if you make a phone call it will not be treated as a data call, regardless of the type of headset you use.
            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

            Comment


            • #7
              get phonecontrol
              Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SAScooby
                get phonecontrol
                The version I'm using doesn't control the headset ability.. That had to be configured in Windows
                Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sygad
                  Hi,

                  use MS dialer so I can make phone calls
                  the only 1 I seem to be able to use is the Headset
                  Well, I'm sorry to bring you the bad news, but you can't use them both at the same time.
                  Because:
                  1. Controlling the phone with the pc goes through the Bluetooth Virtual Port. (One of them that are added are reserved for bluetooth SPP profiles)
                  2. The headset feature is another Bluetooth profile
                  3. a Nokia 6310(i) can only handle one BT connection at a time

                  I built my own Phone Control system. I'm using the exact setup like you, Citecom CN-500 BT dongle, Nokia 6310 (not i). My OS is XP Embedded, SP1.
                  The Phone Control system controls my phone using the Bluetooth Virtual Serial Port by using the AT commands.
                  For handsfree calling I'll be adding a handy-holder that will be connected to the PC audio ports.

                  So, forget to be able to totally call and control your phone from your PC all at the same time.
                  Needstorage
                  --------------------------

                  Who the hell is general failure?!?
                  And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    whoa, BT experts a plenty...now i'm really lost

                    Had another play with it last night and managed to create a stable connection to the phone using the audio gateway, off I trundled to MS dialer and tried to make a call to my brother, a little D appeared on my phone (presumably a data call), 5 mins later my brother phoned with "Like, WTF was that ****"....he loves my experimenting really and tries to equally impress me with his demonstration of the F-word as avowel.

                    I digress, I will download a copy of that phone control and give it a go, just hate having stuff on my computer that I don't understand or can't configure.

                    Stevie-G you said you created a dial up connection and chose the bluetooth modem, I went into my network connections and there was no dial up connection option available, I have Bluetooth connection wizard, network connection wizard, 1394(can't remember)

                    Is this defiently right what you did?, if so how the hell do I get my dial up connection option back - any help?

                    Cheers for all this, normaly I have half a clue but this one has got me good and proper

                    Daz
                    if you can't find time to do it right, when are you gonna find time to do it over.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sygad
                      whoa, BT experts a plenty...now i'm really lost

                      Had another play with it last night and managed to create a stable connection to the phone using the audio gateway, off I trundled to MS dialer and tried to make a call to my brother, a little D appeared on my phone (presumably a data call), 5 mins later my brother phoned with "Like, WTF was that ****"....he loves my experimenting really and tries to equally impress me with his demonstration of the F-word as avowel.

                      I digress, I will download a copy of that phone control and give it a go, just hate having stuff on my computer that I don't understand or can't configure.

                      Stevie-G you said you created a dial up connection and chose the bluetooth modem, I went into my network connections and there was no dial up connection option available, I have Bluetooth connection wizard, network connection wizard, 1394(can't remember)

                      Is this defiently right what you did?, if so how the hell do I get my dial up connection option back - any help?

                      Cheers for all this, normaly I have half a clue but this one has got me good and proper

                      Daz
                      Go to your Bluetooth Neighbourhood folder in Windows Explorer. Click Entire Bluetooth Neighourhood and look for your handy. (Make sure it's bluetooth is on and can be discovered)
                      Now, right click the icon that represents your phone and you'll have an option like 'explore the services' or something similar. Anyway, If you look further down this road (using the phone icon, right-click, some option) you will be able to bind to the dial in profile of your phone.

                      good luck!
                      Needstorage
                      --------------------------

                      Who the hell is general failure?!?
                      And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        bit of an update...

                        I was poking around the sitecom website and they have all these manuals for various stuff, I noticed they had a connectivity manual for my phone, it said about adding a virtual port and binding that to the....can't remember now, anyway suffice to say i downloaded it and will be playing again tonight, will post 2moro any findings
                        if you can't find time to do it right, when are you gonna find time to do it over.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          well,

                          had a bit more success, the sitecom manual instructions didn't seem to do anything, other than try and get me to add another com port so that I could connect to the nokia pc suite vua bluetooth, which I can already do

                          However,

                          I connected the audo gateway and managed to use my phone to dial a number, no mic thoug so they couldn't hear me, got my friend to call back and it auto answers, and I can hear them, gonna get a mic so I can talk
                          if you can't find time to do it right, when are you gonna find time to do it over.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Needstorage
                            Well, I'm sorry to bring you the bad news, but you can't use them both at the same time.
                            Because:
                            1. Controlling the phone with the pc goes through the Bluetooth Virtual Port. (One of them that are added are reserved for bluetooth SPP profiles)
                            2. The headset feature is another Bluetooth profile
                            3. a Nokia 6310(i) can only handle one BT connection at a time

                            I built my own Phone Control system. I'm using the exact setup like you, Citecom CN-500 BT dongle, Nokia 6310 (not i). My OS is XP Embedded, SP1.
                            The Phone Control system controls my phone using the Bluetooth Virtual Serial Port by using the AT commands.
                            For handsfree calling I'll be adding a handy-holder that will be connected to the PC audio ports.

                            So, forget to be able to totally call and control your phone from your PC all at the same time.

                            hmm...With my phone (SE T637), I can definitely control the phone whilst using the headset function. For instance, I can have PhoneControl dial a number, it will automatically connect the headset feature and the sound will come through my speakers, and then I can tell PhoneControl to end the call and the call will end and the headset will disconnect.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              <cough><choke>
                              [] Data connect to ye'ol' innernyette
                              [] Reach out and VOIP someone
                              </choke></cough>
                              •Micke

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X