Wireless Plan / Phone Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Plan / Phone Advice

I'm in a situation where I may be able to give up my company AT&T cell phone and get one privately then expense it, as such I need to consider the best plan / phone choice.

I'd like to choose one that has good data service as well as voice coverage and thought people may be able to relate their experiences and help with some suggestions.

Area - Boston and North of Boston, 93 / 495 Area
    Services - Voice, phone based browser and ideally data service that can be accessed through the phone from my PC/PDA

I'd like an "all in one" package with unlimited data service, is there such a thing? I don't want to be tied to the phone company email system so POP3 access would be good, messenger services are a plus, especially Yahoo messenger.

Any suggestions on plans / prices / phones to consider?

Thanks, Chris.

Dude your in mass too?! word.....
    ok i have T-mobile with a $59.99 family talk plan with my GF and the $20 unlimited data plan added to it. Both me and my GF go online using the phones and get great coverage, I'm in lynn and frequent boston and points north (andover, lawrence, southern NH) and get a great signal

Comment

I was also wondering about the tmobile. I can add a phone to my wifes plan for not to much but the deciding factor is being able to use it as a wireless modem. I would want to use it at least 40 hours a week. I'v also heard the nokia 6225 dosn't work as a modem?

Comment

Sprint Vision is unlimited access for $15 a month. Was pretty nice when I had it....
        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Do/did any of you use the phone as a wireless modem? Which phone did/do you have? My wife had Sprint until recently and it seems the actual phone really has an impact, friends have Sprint and great coverage, her LG flip phone really sucked though.

Comment

I'm using my motorola V66 to go online and it works flawlessly

Comment

I live in southern NH and work in Mass. T-Mobile has great coverage in this area and I'm able to use my Samsung e-105 phone as a wireless modem from my carpc or laptop using a usb cable I got on ebay. I have an old plan where I pay $99 / month for 5000 anytime minutes including t-zones, etc. Works great. I used to have Verizon who also has great coverage, but they are more expensive. I was paying over $250/ month to Verizon.

Comment

250 that is outrageous I am also in southern NH and was wondering what is the cheapest way to get a wireless modem I donít really care about talking on the phone that much but was wondering if any one new if you could get just a data plan for t-mobile or some how get a data plan on the prepaid t-mobile plans.
                Starting an install in a 02 s4 when I get time, which will probably about the time i am looking to sell the car. Got to love it

Comment

YOu can get unlimited data service on ATT for $17 if you have service already.

Comment

Hmm I'm in NY so it'll probably be more expensive but for some reason i never thought of my cell as a wireless modem before

"Excellent!" (evil grin)- Mr Burns
                    .______
                    | '_ |__\___
                    [(o)|___(o)] XB
                    ._________
                    | I__I I_I|_\__I
                    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

Doesn't Verizon have wireless web for only $5 a month more?
                      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by brady
                        I have a fresh memory of this 'cos I just signed up for it yesterday. The $4.99/month is only for web access through the phone itself.

If you want to use the phone as a modem for a broadband access then you need to sign up for a national plan which is about $40/m.
                        EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

Originally posted by brady
                          Hey,

I'm a cellular consultant. The $5/month addition to Verizon is only so you can use the internet on your phone not from it. If you want to use the internet from your phone with Verizon, you have to sign up for an America's Choice plan. Depending on reception regular speeds are about 100KBPS-250Kbps. The only thing is, beware, using the internet from a verizon phone uses up plan minutes. If you do it on nights and weekends, no worry because it is unlimited (Mon-Thurs: 9:01PM-6:59AM Fri-Mon: 9:01-6:59AM).

I would suggest going with T-mobile get a 1000min plan with N/W for $59.99 and add T-mobile internet for $19.99/month.

If you have any further questions, PM me

Peace,

Rafster
                          Post # 3000

Comment

I recommend the T-mobile setup. Pay $2.99 for T-zones. You can go online at 115kbs from your laptop.(which will be hooked up to the phone via cable, IR or bluetooth, depending on which phone u get).

Yes T-zones is only for going online on ur phone, but you can go online at no extra cost(via the T-zones GPRS connection) with the phone using an external device(i.e laptop, pda e.t.c).

I'm always online with this setup when I'm mobile. Do a search in this forum, there was a thread that showed how to do it, also go to www.howardforums.com
                            MY CAR PROFILE (@HONDA SHOWOFF)

Comment

I'm thinking avout the Motorola V505 from AT&T, any good or bad comments? T-Mobile coverage seems sketchy in my area, a little North or West and there is nothing.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X