Getting Online With AT&T?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Online With AT&T?

Does anyone use an AT&T phone to get online, either by Bluetooth or with a cable? My company account is through AT&T, I was wondering if by switching packages I could use it to get online too.

Chris.

I have AT&T and a SE T616 phone. I use the bluetooth functionality to get both my
    IPAQ and Laptop with dongle online... Works good. Speeds in the range of a dialup connection
    I would guess... (I've had a cable modem at home for so long... I don't really remember dialup speeds )
    CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
    Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
    Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
    CarPuter Install

Comment

Originally posted by Squid
      I have AT&T and a SE T616 phone. I use the bluetooth functionality to get both my
      IPAQ and Laptop with dongle online... Works good. Speeds in the range of a dialup connection
      I would guess... (I've had a cable modem at home for so long... I don't really remember dialup speeds )

So I assume you are on AT&T's digital service, can you give me any idea of the package and costs involved? Do you play a flat rate or per minute, is this classed as an "EDGE" service?

Thanks, Chris.

Comment

No my phone doesn't support EDGE, just GPRS. Yes it's the GSM plan. I pay 39.99 a month
        for the nationwide cell service, and I tacked on the 13$ internet plan for like 4 megs.
        Complete ripoff but only solution for me . I hear they just announced unlimited internet
        for $19.99 a month, but that's too high for me. I don't use it that much now cause I'm so afraid
        of going over the 4 meg limit. I just use it for emailing pics & mMode and such directly from
        the phone. Or ICQ from my IPAQ. But if that price would drop just a bit more I'll prob jump on that plan.
        I have no clue what the price will be when AT&T becomes Cingular sometime here
        in the next few months.

-Squid
        CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
        CarPuter Install

Comment

So pardon my ignorance, but if you get online via Bluetooth does that count as minutes or come from your 4mb limit? i.e. the 19.99/month would or would not allow unlimited internet?

Chris.

Comment

Yes the $19.99 is unlimited... brand new plan... my bro-in-law has his own cellphone business...
            so I hear things before they are released... not sure if that plan is yet available...

No, when you pull data thru the phone, it goes towards your megabyte limit not your cellphone limits.
            When connected to the laptop, I am using it as a ISP since I do not have
            a dialup account to use. I have broadband at home and they do not provide a free dialup access number.

If you have a dialup number, the phone can be used as a regular "modem". And that then would go against your minutes and not megabytes.

If I go to the unlimited plan, then yes, I could use the internet always from my phone
            for that price. No real need for that yet tho. Unless FrodoPlayer has some
            cool internet features when his next version comes out.
            CarPuter Install

Comment

Sounds promising, thanks. I'm putting together an app that will retrieve web pages and save them offline such that it should connect, downlaod then break the conenction leaving you with an offline copy. You can then either stick with just that or refresh it at will which will pull down the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the AT&T store tomorrow.

Chris.

Comment

Cool... no problem!

GoodLuck on the app!

-Squid
                CarPuter Install

Comment

Are you sure they don't charge extra when you use the PC or PDS through the phone to get online? The forums at www.howardforums.com say some people got whacked with extra charges, there is suspocion that this is only if you use the AT&T connection manager though.

Also, can you pull photos off the camera via BT?

Chris.

Comment

I've never got charged for anything but the megabyte cost... For connecting to the net, I just use a D-Link bluetooth dongle
                    and connect with that. It makes a Dial-Up connection icon for the device, and up put in this cryptic #9**11 (example) and thats what it uses to get online.

Same exact way for the IPAQ.

Yes, you can pull anything off the phone using the bluetooth... files, themes, pictures, sounds, etc... synchronize, contacts, etc...
                    CarPuter Install

Comment

Working...
                    X