Infrared extender in car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared extender in car?

I have an Audigy 2NX soundcard in my car behind the touchscreen. Is there any way to hook up an IR extender so that I can use the remote control for it? I've seen units like THIS ONE but I was hoping for a smaller, simpler unit since I only have to extend the IR by about a foot.
    Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Just extend the IR!!!
    Resolder it with longer wires!!

Comment

You mean to open the case, remove the ir receiver, and extend it outside of the case? Hmmm, sounds very intriguing, but what issues would I have to deal with? For example, does the sensor NEED to be behind a plastic filter like it is inside the case and does the cable need to be shielded, etc?
      Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Comment

I've extended multiple IR sensors, some successfully others not. Never done the audigy though. The only real thing that I've found you have to watch out for is overheating the circuits on the board your desoldering the sensor from. I don't think shielding is too important, but it doesn't hurt, Ive also never extended anything over 3ft, but ive seen other people make 15 feet ones for various devices.

To play it safe, I would just cut away the IR sensor rather then try desoldering it if possible. Then when soldering the new wires on just make sure you don't solder for too long and overheat the circuts. I think the sensor itself can take quite a bit of heat so that shouldn't be a problem, but the circuit board may or may not fry easily depending on the layout and types of chips on it.

No it will still work even if its not behind a filter. I think the filter is just as much for asthetics then for a practical purpose.
        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Working...
        X