computer to computer network help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer to computer network help

Ok, i just bought 2 Linksys WUSB54G network adapters. I want to hook up my carputer with my desktop.

I DO NOT have a wireless routers. According to windows help, this should be fine. It says I can set up a computer to computer network. But i have tried network config like 5 times and its not working.

Anyone do this already and can gimme some tips?
    My Carputer Project

There are two types of WiFi connects
    AP (AccessPoint) as used w/ a WiFi AP (router, hub, etc)
    Ad Hoc (peer to peer) as used in typical settings as you're intending.

re.read your documentation and look for those terms and how to impliment them w/in your needs.
    •Micke

Comment

You have to set up an Ad-Hoc network (computer to computer) instead of what people usually do, infrastructure (access point)... look in the manual or on the Linksys website.

Comment

whoops... looks like you beat me to it

Comment

how do i set up the ad-hoc network? the only place i see ad-hoc is when i go to wirelss connection properties and click on the properties of my wireless adapter

My Carputer Project

Comment

if you use the 2nd option AND click the "Automaticaly connect to non-preferred networks" you should also see the advantage of connecting when you're in town & near wifi hotspots. If it doesn't work however, go back to that setting you have selected above "Computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only".

set them both.. and try the following:
            <> Configure/set the IP to two different IPs on the same subnet for both computers.
            <> open/enable/configure file sharing on the home PC and share out a directory.
            •Micke

Comment

ok i got the 2 comps talking, but only at 11Mbps

these are 54Mb adapters. What do i need to do?
              My Carputer Project

Comment

ok i got 54Mb. but its only giving me 21% utilization wtf?
                My Carputer Project

Comment

21% utilization? How are you quantifying that number?

Are you referring to the Signal strength and Quality percentage(s)?

One more thing: 54Mbps is theoretical. In reality, it's more like 60% of that with both cards right next to each other inside of a faraday cage (or a room with 3 ft concrete walls) blocking all other signals in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Geese
                    21% utilization? How are you quantifying that number?

Are you referring to the Signal strength and Quality percentage(s)?

One more thing: 54Mbps is theoretical. In reality, it's more like 60% of that with both cards right next to each other inside of a faraday cage (or a room with 3 ft concrete walls) blocking all other signals in the air.

i got both adapter 5 feet from each other with excellent reception.

21& utilization according to windows. Even when i hook up my 100Mb WIRED ethernet, i only get 45% utlization. It should be around 70-80.
                    My Carputer Project

Comment

Working...
                    X