Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop Connection problems

Hi All,

Just got my WiFi installed Netgear WG311 (car) WGR614 (broadband router) WG511 (laptop) and all is working well with regards to file transfer and network visibility.

However, I tried to initiate a Remote desktop session with the laptop to the car and it kept telling me that there was no terminal servers available.

I have searched about and from results I have checked that the firewall is de-activated, remote desktop is allowed and I have allowed other people to control my computer.

When I try to connect I have tried both the IP address and the computer name and still nothing.

Anyone else have success or is this a common XP Pro SP2 "feature"?

Cheers for any advice
    if you can't find time to do it right, when are you gonna find time to do it over.

Have you disabbled the welcome screen on the carputer in the user accounts?
    I've tried this and when you connect it logs you off on the carputer which is ok but it makes it difficult to log back on unless you got a keyboard and mouse in the car. I've now got a program called Timbuktu which is much better.

Comment

no I haven't disabled the startup and yes I have a k/b and mouse.

I've got VNC and pcAnywhere but I was curious why something already built in doesn't work when it should do without intervention
      if you can't find time to do it right, when are you gonna find time to do it over.

Comment

if I remember correctly XP does not allow remote desktop connections when there are no accounts with passwords, maybe try creating a 2nd account with a password and see if that does it? because remote desktop works fine on my SP2 machine but I have a password.
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

aaah now thats different, both machines just go straight to the desktop, no login required, i'll try that later

Comment

RAdmin is a nice alternative to RDP, you might want to take a look at www.radmin.com

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
              if I remember correctly XP does not allow remote desktop connections when there are no accounts with passwords, maybe try creating a 2nd account with a password and see if that does it? because remote desktop works fine on my SP2 machine but I have a password.
              Yup, I think that's exactly the problem. I had the same thing happen.

You can use gpedit.msc to change that so it doesn't require a password for remote desktop connection. It works just fine. It's in there in security if I remember right, something about limit use of blank passwords to local host only is enabled, and needs to be disabled.
              Tidder

Try RevFE
              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
              X