Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use your VERIZON cell for FREE internet

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to use your VERIZON cell for FREE internet

    Has anyone received a recent bill or statement since they have been using this?
    Have they caught on & started charging for this yet?

  • #2
    How to use your VERIZON cell for FREE internet

    Alright, so this might have already been posted, but I thought I'd share how to setup free internet access through verizon. You first need to get a cable to conect to your computer. I have a Samsung A670 (its can used as a CDMA modem) so I bought a future dial USB cable from radioshack for $25. Note, you don't need to buy THEIR softwarefor $40 so don't let them sell it to you! The next step was to find the drivers for the futuredial cable. Install them and then setup a new dial network connection, using your cell phone as a modem. For verizon, they offer a free dial service called "Verizon quick to net" It basically acts like a normal call and only charges you minutes so after 9 or weekends is free. When setting up the dial-up network connection enter in the phone number it will dial as #777 the username and passsword should both be lowercase qnc After that you just press dial/set it up to connect when you fire up IE. However, I ran into a problem with my futuredial cable where it would connect but the user name and password were invalid. Apparently you need got to the settings for your wireless modem (in control panel>phone/modem>modems>select your phone and hit properties>advanced) and enter at$qcmdr=2 where it says initialization string. This got it working fine for me. Oh Yeah, its slow 14-19 kbps, blazing! but free!

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't use QNC. Have the phone dial #777... make your username [email protected] (xs are your phone number) and the password is vzw. That'll connect at national access speeds. almost all plans have national access minutes only useage on them. If yours doesn't work, call CS and have them add it. It's free, just uses airtime, so you're ok on nights and weekends. Works awesome, I get 110-125K and the real download speeds test at 50-60K

      Dave

      Comment


      • #4
        Now we just need to find something like that from Nextel... I don't care to pay the $50-$60 per month for PacketStreamGold... from what I hear it is pretty slow... not that speed is important with this feature... I guess I'm more concerned with the price. If the speed was better I'd just drop me home ISP and use wireless... oh, and I don't plan to leave Nextel as I have too many friends and family members on Nextel. Later!

        Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)
        2000 Isuzu Vehicross... Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
        My Webshots Gallery...
        Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

        ***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by big_cali_dave
          Don't use QNC. Have the phone dial #777... make your username [email protected] (xs are your phone number) and the password is vzw. That'll connect at national access speeds. almost all plans have national access minutes only useage on them. If yours doesn't work, call CS and have them add it. It's free, just uses airtime, so you're ok on nights and weekends. Works awesome, I get 110-125K and the real download speeds test at 50-60K

          Dave
          Actually, I did that and it worked, but I talked to customer service and they made it sound like you are charged for the kb transfe amount instead of just minutes. It is way faster and I'll have to call back to get a definite answer.

          EDIT: After more searching, you appear to be correct. Apparently all newly activated Verizon accounts have national access (signified by a 1x in the upper left of the screen) It seems the Verizon rep was trying to sell me their $80 data transfer plan with some software accelerator ****. So as long as it uses only airtime minutes, I'm there. thanks for the info.

          Comment


          • #6
            good stuff!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CoCa
              Actually, I did that and it worked, but I talked to customer service and they made it sound like you are charged for the kb transfe amount instead of just minutes. It is way faster and I'll have to call back to get a definite answer.

              EDIT: After more searching, you appear to be correct. Apparently all newly activated Verizon accounts have national access (signified by a 1x in the upper left of the screen) It seems the Verizon rep was trying to sell me their $80 data transfer plan with some software accelerator ****. So as long as it uses only airtime minutes, I'm there. thanks for the info.
              Good info...I'll give it a shot.

              Comment


              • #8
                works for me perfectly. i bought a data cable that charges for $16 shipped of of ebay...

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5736522941

                I have a A530S. works like a charm. Wish that phonecontroll would work with it though...

                cheers...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Great Info Thanks!
                  Planar 12.1TS
                  Xenarc 700TS
                  Xenarc MP-SC8 Mini P4 Aluminum Car PC
                  Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 NX
                  2.8 Celeron D
                  512 PC2700
                  Dual Odyssey 1200s for Power

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah I use my LG VX6000 to do this all the time but didnt know that I only was charged for airtime. Extremely cool. I too wish that PhoneControl would work with it too. Anyways, do you guys you BitPim for your software as well, or is that only for the LG VX series?
                    Progress: | All materials Purchased...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [QUOTE=BigToach]Yeah I use my LG VX6000 to do this all the time but didnt know that I only was charged for airtime. Extremely cool. I too wish that PhoneControl would work with it too. Anyways, do you guys you BitPim for your software as well, or is that only for the LG VX series?[/QUOTE

                      Bitpim rocks! It works like a charm on my Samsung. There is sooo much in the phone file system that looks hackable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Kyocera 2325+Verizon + internet access in car???

                        Iam awaiting my tablet PC to arrive and was trying to get hooked up so I could use it in the car to check Ebay for my auctions and value of items Iam looking at for resale purposes.Well I thought just for kicks I would dial #777 and see what happens and all I got was a recording saying"we are unable to complete your call as dialed please check the number and try again".Am I missing something or is my plan just not setup for this to work???I have a kyocera 2325 and a 400 minute a month plan that says it includes National Network Enhanced services access.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mrmontebuilder
                          Iam awaiting my tablet PC to arrive and was trying to get hooked up so I could use it in the car to check Ebay for my auctions and value of items Iam looking at for resale purposes.Well I thought just for kicks I would dial #777 and see what happens and all I got was a recording saying"we are unable to complete your call as dialed please check the number and try again".Am I missing something or is my plan just not setup for this to work???I have a kyocera 2325 and a 400 minute a month plan that says it includes National Network Enhanced services access.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                          You need to obtain a data cable and install the drivers to get your computer talking to your phone, otherwise the number is useless. Its like dialing your AOL acces number back in the day with your telephone.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Bluetooth?

                            Has anyone done this with the Moto V710 via Bluetooth?

                            I am thinking about switching my wife and I from cingular. 2 V710's free after rebates. 1 Year contract. Rebate can be sent in 180 days after purchase.

                            Thanks for the info!
                            Planar 12.1TS
                            Xenarc 700TS
                            Xenarc MP-SC8 Mini P4 Aluminum Car PC
                            Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 NX
                            2.8 Celeron D
                            512 PC2700
                            Dual Odyssey 1200s for Power

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              from what i hear the BlueTooth in verizons phones is crap. They put some of their own data signals in it so you have to buy their equipment or something like that. thats just what i heard though, i didnt actually read t anywhere
                              Progress: | All materials Purchased...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X