• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What USB Wifi to buy?(UK)

Hi Guys...

Hope someone can help

I live in the UK

OK see my sig...you will see what i have..

What USB WIFI do da should I be looking at buying...I'm hoping to be able to us this connection primarily for connecting to my own access point…and my girlfriends access point (no pun intended)

If perhaps it could be used to access other access points (by mistake of course) while driving through a city…that would be cool.

I drive a van…so I take it mounting it near the front screen is the best option…I take it metal will kill the signal?

I’m wondering if an external antenna could be useful…but I don’t want something that is 6’ long…any suggestions on this….that doesn’t look won’t make my vehicle look like a TV detector van.

Thanks in advance.

vintageb3
    M10000 mainboard,256 RAM, 80 Gig 3.5" drive, PWS-120-M, ITPS, Lilliput 7" touchscreen, XP Pro SP2, Frodoplayer, Map Monkey, InfoMap Navigator 4, WIFI

Current: Bluetooth. Trying to get Phonecontrol to work with SE T610.

Hiya Mate,

Currently using an adaptor I got from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ME:B:EOAB:UK:6

Wireless-G, bloody good bit of kit. I am using at the moment to connect to my brother ADSL Gateway, he lives up the road and this is picking him up a treat. Also using to connect to my CarPC via another cheapy WiFi adaptor I got from ebay.

Would definatly reccomend the one above though. My brother is about 30-40 metres away as well.

HTH

Regards

Chris
    1992 Honda Civic EG9 Saloon VTi
    Shuttle XPC SS51G
    Intel 2.4 Ghz
    GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64 m. DDR on a Lilliput 7" T/S
    1024meg PC2700 DDR
    60 Gig 7,200 Drive
    16X DVD
    Haicom H-203-E GPS
    Zippy Mini-EL Keyboard
    Opus 150watt PSU

Comment

I used the Buffalo USB 2.0 54G Wireless Adapter because of the antenna port it offers that worked with my external antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by Zharvek
        I used the Buffalo USB 2.0 54G Wireless Adapter because of the antenna port it offers that worked with my external antenna.
        Hi Zharvek...I have looked at this on the web...and can get it in the UK...about £50.00 including P+P

I have to ask if you have a link to a external antenna…

Thanks

vintageb3
        M10000 mainboard,256 RAM, 80 Gig 3.5" drive, PWS-120-M, ITPS, Lilliput 7" touchscreen, XP Pro SP2, Frodoplayer, Map Monkey, InfoMap Navigator 4, WIFI

Comment

Originally posted by CivicDisturbance
          Hiya Mate,

Currently using an adaptor I got from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ME:B:EOAB:UK:6

Wireless-G, bloody good bit of kit. I am using at the moment to connect to my brother ADSL Gateway, he lives up the road and this is picking him up a treat. Also using to connect to my CarPC via another cheapy WiFi adaptor I got from ebay.

Would definatly reccomend the one above though. My brother is about 30-40 metres away as well.

HTH

Regards

Chris
          Hi Chris...

I can get one of these...and it is the simplest solution.

On the end of a USB cable on to the windscreen…but I don’t want to buy this…and then find out that I could get something better that would help me get on line if I were to fall upon an access point in a city somewhere

Maybe I will just go this route...get two of them...so that I can stick one in my house...and be able to get on line there as well...as well as on my girlfriends access point..

Thanks

vintageb3

Comment

I forgot where I got it (its been a while), but....

http://shop.netstumbler.com/customer...=61&cat=&page=

That is the exact same thing. They are a little steap on the price, but that is for the Netstumbler project and all that. You might be able to search eBay and find the same thing.

The type of external antenna port the Buffalo USB254G has is an MC-Type.

...And yes the Buffalo works great in Netstumbler.

Comment

Originally posted by Zharvek
              I forgot where I got it (its been a while), but....

http://shop.netstumbler.com/customer...=61&cat=&page=

That is the exact same thing. They are a little steap on the price, but that is for the Netstumbler project and all that. You might be able to search eBay and find the same thing.

The type of external antenna port the Buffalo USB254G has is an MC-Type.

...And yes the Buffalo works great in Netstumbler.
              Hey Zharvek...

Thanks mate..I will have a look at this!

vintageb3

Comment

Working...
              X