Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest way to connect to random wifi network?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to connect to random wifi network?

In my Tahoe, I've got a PC running WinXP with a Xenarc touchscreen and a 802.11g adapter connected to a Hawking amp and an antenna on the roof. If I'm in an area with a lot of wifi aps, I can usually find one with open internet access, but it takes quite a few clicks on the touchscreen and its a hassle.

I usually just use XP's wireless zero feature to search for wireless networks, connect to an open one, and try to see if I can access google. If it doesn't work, I disconnect and try another network until I find one that does. This process sucks though, so I only do this when I really need to look at something on the internet and I have no other options.

Does anyone have an easier way to (automatically?) jump on a new wireless network? Hopefully something that's touchscreen friendly?

Take a look at WINC, then take a look at the U.S. federal computer crime statute, Title 18 U.S.C. 1030

- Z
    It has to start somewhere... It has to start sometime.
    What better place than here? What better time than now?

Comment

Fair warning

Connecting to a wireless network without prior consent is illegal!
      http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?t=6430

Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir.

To answer your question , netstumbler may just be the ticket. The software has become more hardware friendly ... but still has it's limitations. Can't hurt to try it.
      http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
      Currently testing IR remotes vs. touchscreen. $30 invested.

Comment

XP drivers automatically connect to an open AP ..... which is stoopid cuz any noob can plug it into their puter and without even knowing connect to the next doors AP.

I use Winc on my Pocket PC and on all systems at home & in the car for the ease of use ( within my own network / other authorized points )

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of the legalities involved... Try and catch me. I'm not looking to do anything malicious, just want to look at a web page or two. And I do use netstumbler, but it's not really helpful for connecting to networks, only for scanning them. Thanks for the replies though. I'll check out winc.

Comment

and what was your computer name
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

I have a dream.... of a world where people would actually READ the laws.

Everything in Title 18:S1030 applies to government or bank computers except for mentions of 'protected' computers. The current view of the law is that an OPEN wireless access point is not condsidered PROTECTED.

Instead of making assumptions because you think 'it's PROBABLY illegal', you might want to actually learn the law before spreading disinformation.

Currently, it is NOT illegal, but that may change.
              Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
              http://hallert.net/

Comment

Wardriving is not illegal

Connecting is "Theft of Services," no better than connecting to your neighbor's electricity or cable, even if you only do it for a minute or two.
                Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                I'M DEBT FREE!!
                I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                  Wardriving is not illegal

Connecting is "Theft of Services," no better than connecting to your neighbor's electricity or cable, even if you only do it for a minute or two.
                  Not if its open to the public. In my condo complex in Texas, there were 6 of us that opened up our WiFis to anyone wanting internet acces within the complex. We opened it up to wardrivers, too. I protectedd my network well enough to feel comfortable. Worked like a charm.
                  HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

I heard a good program the other day and the shot story was. If the AP is totaly open how would you or anyone know if it was private or a free/open AP. This is the same general reason we have doors and locks.

Comment

Originally posted by vajimbo
                      I heard a good program the other day and the shot story was. If the AP is totaly open how would you or anyone know if it was private or a free/open AP. This is the same general reason we have doors and locks.
                      so...you're saying that if I'm stupid and I leave my doors unlocked and someone walks into my house, it isnt trespassing?

Gizmo: That's fine that you don't mind if other people use your wifi without permission. It's yours to do with what you will. The fact is though that probably 75% of residences with wifi have NO IDEA that others can use their stuff. You can't know (unless the AP has the proper naming conventions) if the owner of a random AP cares if you use it or not.

You might even get someone like me who has a wide open AP in an apartment complex just so I can read the traffic going across my network. If they happen to send sensitive information across a network that I own, I can use that information however I see fit (note: I do not capture passwords to online accounts of any type)

Am I being shady? Probably. Is what I do illegal? Nope.
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

so...you're saying that if I'm stupid and I leave my doors unlocked and someone walks into my house, it isnt trespassing?
                        No I did not say that. You seem to want a fight about this, sorry I will not give it to you. If you have any basics in Law then you know the basic test of "is it reasonable" and the attorney that was on the radio show I referred to was pointing that out. So if you don't like the answer then go to an attorney and fight with one of them.

Comment

i thught i heard somewhere that the FCC has it writen that if you dont secure it (WEP) that anyone can legaly connect to it.
                          1990 Jeep Cherokee
                          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Special Agent Bill Shore, FBI
                            Identifying the presence of a wireless network may not be a
                            criminal violation, however, there may be criminal violations if the
                            network is actually accessed including theft of services, interception
                            of communications, misuse of computing resources, up to and including
                            violations of the Federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Statute, Theft of
                            Trade Secrets, and other federal violations.
                            Read the whole letter here. You may be right about the whole reasonableness thing, but that's not what the Feds think.
                            I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

it's best that you leave your wifi open, then when the RIAA comes knocking, you can always say "damn wardrivers" or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X