Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VPN required for terminal services client?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN required for terminal services client?

So I'm trying to set up a connection between my carpc and my PDA using terminal services client.....I did it before with my old pda and my old carpc.

This time it's bringing up something along the lines of :in order to connect to your work network you will need to configure a vpn connection

but I don't remember having to do that before?

I don't want to have to use an IP and go through a network, I just want an ad-hoc connection between the PDA and the computer. So that if I am out in the middle of no where I can still use the PDA to controll winamp via wireless.

I would like to be able to do this for shows. The rules state that anything above 130db requires the system to be controlled remotely....being that I was able to do it before, I thought I could easily do it this time....

I'm going to continue searching but I haven't found anything specific to a problem like this...

thanks in advance!

btw - I'm kinda pressed for time...21 hours of classes, 25 hours of work, and trying to get this car done by friday make for not much free time...lol
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

I think you'll need a tcp-ip connnection between server and client at least.
    Haven't used it on PDA's, so I don't know how that works, sorry

If you have an ad-hoc connection over wireless to you pc, both pc and pda should have an ip-address (something private like 192.168.?.? or 10.?.?.?). You then should be able to connect to the ip-address of the pc without problems...
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

just to make sure I understand this correctly....what you are saying is that I need to get the ip of the carpc? that since it's ad-hoc it should assign it's self an ip automatically...just check this with start -> run -> 'cmd' -> ipconfig ? Then when I get that IP, just enter that in the PDA when it asks for the IP under the VPN connection?
      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Well, you could use a static IP in both. Just like you'd set up two machines w/ a crossover.

Set the CarPc's IP to something like

ip:192.168.1.110 gateway:255.255.255.0 then w/ your PDA try and connect to 192.168.1.110

Good luck, great idea.
        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card
        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

just make sure you set your PDA to 192.168.1.109 or 111
          肚子笑痛了
          S60 Install

Comment

ok so I have the ip on the car as: 192.168.1.106

when I enter this into the vpn stuff on the pda, it still doesn't work.

before I didn't have a passwordset forteh administrator on xp, I remember that in order to connect remotely to the computer in xp you have to have a password set...so i set one, it didn't require me to do a reboot. but heres myproblem, I don't want to have to enter in he password every time I start up the car, isn't there a box somewhre that I an check to diable that?? or is that just a nlite thing??

sorry for the badtyping, in car right now...lol
            Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
              just make sure you set your PDA to 192.168.1.109 or 111
              ok - so in pocket pc 2003, how do you set the ip??? lol
              Jan Bennett

Comment

something does not sound right about having to have a VPN to connect using remote desktop you should just enter the IP address of the remote desktop computer and connect.
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                  ok - so in pocket pc 2003, how do you set the ip??? lol

should be under connections it control panel, it's been a little while since i've used PPC2003
                  肚子笑痛了
                  S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                    something does not sound right about having to have a VPN to connect using remote desktop you should just enter the IP address of the remote desktop computer and connect.
                    that's what i'm saying.....I dont ever rememberhaving to do this before....before, i just told it to connecct to thiscomputer name, entered in the user name and password and was done with it.....
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

ok - maybe what I need thenis someone to walk me through setting up theconnection between the car and my pda....

I tried tellng the car that it was a different ssid (carpc) and that tht was an ad-hoc connection...my pda finds tht connection, but can't connect it just says connecting....forever lol

any ideas?
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                      X