Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best USB Wireless Adapter?

Hi All

After having problems with random reeboots I have come to the come to the conclusion that it is my crappy Belkin wireless adapter

The question is what are people using and what would you recomend?

It needs to be:

1.) USB
    2.) 100% Compatable with Netstumbler
    3.) 100% Hibernate friendly
    4.) Excellent Range
    5.) Support b and g
    6.) Good software (I know some wireless cards have flakey software)

Would be nice if it had:

1.) Possibility for an external arial
    2.) Low power usage
    3.) Nice price

I realise this has probably been coverd before but new products come out, drivers/software are updated etc So I wanted the latest view.

I also realise I have semi contradicted my self by asking for one with good range and lowish power but hey I can wish

So what can you reccomend guys?
    System:
    256Mb, PIII 533 on a Hyph01 PCI sized mobo (Lan/Sound/GFX)
    M1-ATX PSU
    250GB Hdd

USB:
    Haicom GPS
    Belkin Wireless

Case:
    Installed in an old NTL box, (best thing for it)

Screen:
    LinITX 7"

I have a linksys WUSB54G that really works well for me. It's powered by the USB bus, can be relocated very easily throughout the car, has great range and does all that other stuff you mentioned. I love when I pull up to a stop light and suddently I'm signed onto instant messanger. One time I was just going slowly through an intersection and I got logged on!

I think I got the WUSB54G for a bout $60 at CompUSA
    -Brad
    83 mp320i
    99 mp323i
    _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

Hye does the WUSB54G have external arial?

thanks

Comment

Search for Buffalo.

I use and it works great. it is relativly inexpensive, has great software and the only card that i know of that is USB 802.11b/g compatable and has an external antenna hookup
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

sorry yer the buffalo card looks good but do they have a usb version?
          the WUSB54GP is good too.

thanks

Comment

Nice one guys, I will have a look at those I allways knew buffalo were a good make but I never really used them.
            System:
            256Mb, PIII 533 on a Hyph01 PCI sized mobo (Lan/Sound/GFX)
            M1-ATX PSU
            250GB Hdd

USB:
            Haicom GPS
            Belkin Wireless

Case:
            Installed in an old NTL box, (best thing for it)

Screen:
            LinITX 7"

Comment

Originally posted by Alex121
              Hye does the WUSB54G have external arial?

thanks
              Yes it does. See the pic..

-Brad
              83 mp320i
              99 mp323i
              _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

edit:

Ok can someone tell me if there are ANY USB wifi adaptors out there where you can connect an a external antenna?
                Id rather it be a USB instead of PCMCIA card because then i can get a USB HUB PCMCIA card instead and have an extra 3 usb ports.

But if there are no USB wifi adaptors with a external antenna jack, could someone please recommend me a good PCMCIA wifi card with a external antenna jack!

thanks alot!

Comment

bump: Im still looking for a PCMCIA card which allows for an external antenna to be connected. The only one i have found is the Buffalo WLI-CB-G54S and i cant find any in my area.

thanks

Comment

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...5&categoryid=7
                    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Yep that fits my needs, but none available to Australia.
                      How about this one, its usb, no external antenna but atleast its small and i can mount it to the dash or something?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

thanks

Comment

dude i think lynksis blows i bought that one and it doesnt even work with my motorola router because it has problems with the encryption.

get the hawking usb one that looks like a radar dish. i have it just got it and it is so great it gets like 1k feet of range too. best usb out there. it's only g tho but i compromised.

check out www.ecost.com
                        Peep MY TYTE WHIP yo! It's got too many ill mods to list!

Comment

man your car is NICE! lol anyway its not linksys, its d-link?

thanks

Comment

I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router together with a DWL-G122 wireless USB adaptor as a kit. With the wireless adaptor plugged in to my PC and the router right next to it, I could get a perfect connection. However, with the wireless USB adaptor in the car, and still an 80% signal strength, it wouldn't stay connected to the network.

I shelved the wireless adaptor and bought... a Belkin one. It's 100 times better than the D-Link one in my opinion. Works fine with hibernate etc, and the software seems loads better (I was suspicious of the quality of the drivers with the D-Link).

Interesting that I've had the opposite experience to James141. It's a Belkin Wireless-G USB Network Adapter.
                            EZSync - http://www.richmet.com/ezsync

Comment

I love that one! i got it with a 9" 7dbi antenna on the roof. works great.
                              1990 Jeep Cherokee
                              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X