Silly antenna question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly antenna question

Like it says ^^^ Does having a high-gain omnidirectional antenna (6, maybe 8 dbi) mounted on a car help connection? I mean, I'm not an access point, I mostly receive data... how does it work?

Uhm, and yeah, I tried to here - doesn't seem like many people install antennas
    Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Yes it does.... obviously And there are *plenty* threads about it, search does work about this topic.
    Welcome, cdm.
    You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
    Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

Originally posted by cdm
      Yes it does.... obviously And there are *plenty* threads about it, search does work about this topic.
      After a dozen of tries I got good results on "antenna dbi" Damn it, why "802.11" is like a no-no word in search?!

Pretty nice antenna, what do you think? Now if only I know which card to buy...

More , and , and ahead...
      Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

i would prefer something like this on my car. (which is what I have). The other looks too big, and 8.5dbi flattens out your coverage area too much. (the higher the dbi, the less vertical distance it can cover, and the more horizontal). I have also used the economy 5dbi antenna and it works good as well.
        Bruno Speech Recognition - Advanced Speech Recognition designed to control any program. Extra support for FrodoPlayer and Winamp.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkDaMonkMan
          i would prefer something like this on my car. (which is what I have). The other looks too big, and 8.5dbi flattens out your coverage area too much. (the higher the dbi, the less vertical distance it can cover, and the more horizontal). I have also used the economy 5dbi antenna and it works good as well.
          Yes, saw this one on Looks like a nice antenna, especially since it's flexible and most with higher gains are in fiberglass or some other rigid encasement. As for flattening, is it a function of antenna length? In this case smaller antenna with amp should fare better than larger antenna w/o. Here is a neat little (and soon to be released) gadget that can go well with this antenna, what do you think?

Comment

I bought my antenna @ ebay

A lot cheaper than some from Hyperlinktech. And on my car, I don't want an expensive antenna, since it probably got killed anyway

This one is now IN the car, and if I want, i can place it on the roof, enough cable lenght. Magnetic mount is heavy enough for driving on the freeway.
            My Opel Astra 1993 CarPC: http://www.djsmiley.com/projects/carpc/photos/

Comment

Working...
            X