X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maplins GSM/GPRS Modem (UK)

Has anyone in the UK seen or used one of these maplin gprs modems:

Maestro 20 GSM/GPRS Module

It is a GSM/GPRS Modem that will be able to run directly of the car battery. In conjunction with the free O2 stuff StevieG and UK_MP3Car were talking about, this could make for an excellent tracker, rather than having an old mobile phone in your car.

Its a bit pricey, but may well be worth it. What do you guys think?

Rickster
    "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

bump

I might just buy it and see. I'll let you know when I get it

Rickster

Comment

I'm sticking with my T68, I already have it and its bluetooth :-)

Comment

Originally posted by rickster
        Has anyone in the UK seen or used one of these maplin gprs modems:

Maestro 20 GSM/GPRS Module

It is a GSM/GPRS Modem that will be able to run directly of the car battery. In conjunction with the free O2 stuff StevieG and UK_MP3Car were talking about, this could make for an excellent tracker, rather than having an old mobile phone in your car.

Its a bit pricey, but may well be worth it. What do you guys think?

Rickster
        whats the o2 stuff / link people are talking about?

Comment

I bought one about 3 months ago. Dont have time to play with it much yet. It was about 10-15 cheaper when I bought mine from maplin in lakeside. I also bought the antenna and the cable that goes with it, I used a spare sim O2 sim.

Yes it does work quite well. Using the hyperteminal to send commands.

The plan for it is an embedded carPC phone and a standalone tracker.

What would you like to know by the way?

Comment

I saw it at Lakeside. Was wondering what it was like, wether it was better than using an old phone?

Cheers

Rickster

Comment

I use a Nokia D211 PCMCIA card, bought from Ebay for 40 - works like a treat!
              Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
              Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

I'd use a dedicated card if I wasn't still using my Epia 800 but for now the Epia does everything I want it to

Comment

I will probably pick one up tomorrow. Ill let you kniow how I get on

Comment

Originally posted by rickster
                    I saw it at Lakeside. Was wondering what it was like, wether it was better than using an old phone?

Cheers

Rickster
                    Too late, I already bought it

By the way, they are selling the chaperone tracking device for something like 100? Its got a GPS engine, GSM module, controller and antenna. Shame they didnt have it in stock when I bought the gsm module.

But you may want to buy that instead, you need to order it in shop. Cant order them online as its been discontinued, reason why its so cheap. Perfect for messing around with.

As for the module being better? I like it being a module and make a nice OEM install, thats about it I think.

The plan is to use it as a standalone tracker...so I do like the serial port connection on it. PCMCIA or USB would be too difficult to deal with.

Comment

I had the same thoughts. A tracker application would be perfect.

I was going to use this for internet access with the free O2 access. Ill check out the chaperone one at Maplins tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris31
                        Too late, I already bought it

By the way, they are selling the chaperone tracking device for something like 100? Its got a GPS engine, GSM module, controller and antenna. Shame they didnt have it in stock when I bought the gsm module.

But you may want to buy that instead, you need to order it in shop. Cant order them online as its been discontinued, reason why its so cheap. Perfect for messing around with.

As for the module being better? I like it being a module and make a nice OEM install, thats about it I think.

The plan is to use it as a standalone tracker...so I do like the serial port connection on it. PCMCIA or USB would be too difficult to deal with.
                        who / where is this chaperone tracking unit? for 100 pounds?

Comment

Originally posted by pate60
                          who / where is this chaperone tracking unit? for 100 pounds?

Maplins have them.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreLocator.aspx?doy=16m5

They sent me a leaflet on it being on sale, Its original cost is something like 500, then dropped to 250 then last price was 100 something.

If you go to maplins store, check out their catalogue page 430. Make sure you do order from a store as you cant get them online I was told.

Be quick though its been a few months now since I saw the adverts.

They had one in lakeside that I been eyeing for a year, bastard someone bought it before me when it went on sales.

Comment

*Update*

Maplins didn't have any of those Chaperone trackers. there are only 2 left in the country. 1 is in bedford and one in galloway.

The Maestro units are discontinued. There is one left in the country, but it was in scotland somewhere. Oh well.

Comment

If you really want the modem you can get it from farnell.

You may want to check the other thread about a dutch site selling trackers for about 100.

Comment

Working...
                              X