Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you say is the ultimate wifi setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you say is the ultimate wifi setup?

Hi!

Im currently planning a wifi setup for my car.
    But i want some tips and advice from you guys.

Simply:

What would you say is the ultimate wifi setup in your car?
    Everthing from usb/pcmcia/pci cards, antennas, best looking antenna, hiden antenna vs big antenna etc....

Comment

If you have room for a full hight pci card then grab an 802.11g card. If you dont have alot of room (like me) then definitly go with a usb 802.11g adaptor. With the adaptor you can keep the system small and the adaptor can be pulled out quickly if needed. The usb one you can also make a nice cheap directional antenna out of a wire mesh strainer.

Comment

It's probably not the ultimate solution, but it'll be good enough for me....

PCMCIA Card:
        http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.p...lue=1021876859
        Antenna:
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...37&postcount=8

Comment

I thought about doing a pcmcia card but the usb ones just seem easyer and end up giving you a cheaper sultion if space is a big concern.

Here is a link to the DIY cookware antennas for the usb adaptors.

Comment

My PCI WiFi card causes the processor to go 100% every 2-3 minutes and you get a skip in the music. How do I know? Because when you remove it, there's no skips or processor spikes. The USB ones don't cause that problem.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Same with PC Card/PCMCIA Wifi adapters, they make my music crackle when trying to connect.

USB seems the way to go
              2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
              2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
              Sound Stage
              Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

I have :

Orinocco Gold 80211.b PCMCIA ( on epia MII slot )
                Airlink USB 80211.g dongle

I can use one or both through WinC which I have on a tab in CentraFuse.

They both have their pros/cons..

Don
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X