AT&T / Cingular GPRS Ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T / Cingular GPRS Ports

I have the unlimited internet package grandfathered over from AT&T to cingular. Everything works great, and I have unlimited net on my laptop. I remember reading somewhere that only the standard ports are unlimited, the rest are charged. Does anyone know exactly which ports are not charged? Obviously 80 and I think SMTP/POP and AIM. What else?

Thanks,
    Dan

No ports are blocked but the $20 data service doesn't offer any data compression for faster downloading, and a few things like VPN don't work (Cisco VPN works but others don't).

Z
    Zotac N630I-D-E M/B w/ Nvidia 7100, E5300 cpu, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX, XP, RR & DFX 5.1.

Comment

Are you sure? Back in the days of AT&T, using a VPN over GPRS would get you screwed.

Dan

Comment

Well, I tried the Contivity VPN that my company uses a while back and it just didn't work. According to numerous posts at HowardForums.com, Cingular uses a different type of NAT that all but the Cisco VPN's can't handle. I remember someone posting at HoFo that the Cisco VPN worked fine for them.

Cingular doesn't seem to be checking what you do with the low-cost unlimited internet, although some folks claim they might start. The original terms said nothing about tethering your phone to a laptop. Some folks have run 800meg/month with no problems. I don't use nearly that much but when I get my carpc installed I'll probably be in the 300meg/month range.

As always, YMMV, but for me, so far so good.

Z
        Zotac N630I-D-E M/B w/ Nvidia 7100, E5300 cpu, Xenarc 700IDT, M2-ATX, XP, RR & DFX 5.1.

Comment

Working...
        X