Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to extend antenna from your wifi PCI card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to extend antenna from your wifi PCI card?

Has anyone had any experience extending the antenna from a PCI wifi card? I have Linksys dual band PCI card. I was thinking about cutting and extending the wire from the antenna and the box, but im not sure if this is the "correct" way. Heres a pic of what it looks like:
    Attached Files

Sure.... you can do that.

Just get the cable and the right connector and you all set.

The pic is from my usb adpter mod......
    Attached Files
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

what type of cable should I be using and which connector?

Comment

Well take a look at your card, you should be able to unscrew your antenna, and there is a connector there. You can buy antennas for ~30$ in electronic/computer stores.
        Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
        Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
        Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

there is no way to unscrew the antenna, I can take the antenna off the board but it is still attached to that little black wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Tred
            there is no way to unscrew the antenna, I can take the antenna off the board but it is still attached to that little black wire.
            You can add a connector onto the card, adn get an appropriate antenna and cable. Soldering a cable to the wire might be tricky, and you will have to make sure you have an adequate strain relief.

If your not good with a soldering iron, get a different card with a connector so that you can easily attach an external antenna.

Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I can solder, what connector, cable, and antenna do you reccomend?

Comment

You cant just extend that wire willy nilly though or you will get a huge loss in signal over it. A much better idea would be to get a usb one so you can position it well in the first place.

Comment

or just pull the metal can off , the antenna cable should connect with a small conector to the board. Then just find a suitable replacement antenna with that connector.
                  肚子笑痛了
                  S60 Install

Comment

I can solder, what connector, cable, and antenna do you reccomend?
                    There are many types of each that you can look into getting. Some of the low loss connectors are SMA and N connectors. SMA is generaly smaller, but might be harder to work with. As for cable, the thicker the better for signal loss, but the harder to run to your antenna. The thinner, the more loss, but easier to run. It would depend on your lenth of run. Under say, 6 feet, RG213 should be fine. Longer, I would at least try some RG58, or RG8.

Now, if you get an external antenna, you can connect a connector to match the antenna. Just do a search and you will find many antennas that can fill your needs. (Search terms "wifi antenna SMA, or whatever connector you want to use)

Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Use lmr-240. rg-58 and the like are not made for high frequencies such as 2.4ghz. It's not expensive. Get it from www.fab-corp.com My personal favorite connector is sma. N connectors are more popular, but quite a bit bigger. Really the choice is up to you.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I finally took apart some of the metal casing to get a view of the connector. What is the best type of connector to use for this? Also, what is the max length of cable I can use which will attach to the antenna? Will the signal degrade if the cable from card to antenna is 6ft as opposed to 3ft? If so, how much signal loss would I be looking at? Whats the formula to figure it out? Here is what the small connector looks like, its roughly ~2.8mm in diameter and ~2mm in height:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I finally took apart some of the metal casing to get a view of the connector. What is the best type of connector to use for this? Also, what is the max length of cable I can use which will attach to the antenna? Will the signal degrade if the cable from card to antenna is 6ft as opposed to 3ft? If so, how much signal loss would I be looking at? Whats the formula to figure it out? Here is what the small connector looks like, its roughly ~2.8mm in diameter and ~2mm in height:

I think that is a common connector, though I am not sure off the top of my head what it is. You can search this forum for somone asking "what is this connector"(I think that is the search term) and someone gave the answer.

As for the cable, yes, there will be more loss the longer it is. You can determine the loss from the cable specs. For every 3db of loss, you lose 1/2 of the output power. But also realize, the more "in the clear" and the higher the antenna is, the better it will be. It is a balancing act. However, the chances of losing 3db in 3 ft is quite slim, even at 2.4 gig.

Michael

Disregard my search terms. Try this link http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...enna+connector

They say it is a UFL connector, and can get it here.

Comment

Working...
                          X