Need more range from WIFI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more range from WIFI

Currently my garrage is right on the boarder limits of my wifi range. Is there any way, I can get a stronger signal with out moving the router or running a direct cable to the garage. I live in an apartment and I can not get my router any closer nor my car any closer. How can I strengthen my signal to the car.
    Is there a such thing as a powered WIFI antenna or a range extender. I have looked at range extenders but am a little curious of the actual benefit it will have.
    Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
    You can still have something if you have nothing

cheapest route would be a beefier antenna. after that you could get a booster. but the antenna should do the trick just fine.
    Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

Bigger antennas and a wifi amplifier are both things that would help. What router do you have?

Heres a few sites I found:

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wi...-amplifier.php

http://www.radiolabs.com/Articles/wifi-antenna.html

Also what card are you using in your car? I found a USB 802.11g card for 40 bucks online which comes with a 6db directional antenna.
      Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
      DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

you can build yourself a parabolic antenna for nowt that you can point at your garage for a reasonable gain, there are how to's on the internet, ive listed one for you..
        http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/ar...057201,00.html
        2Fast's Tumbleweed - Spag bol's Tumbleweed - 2Fast's site

Comment

If your router's a WRT54G you can get the hacked firmware which will allow you to boost up your signal by about 30%.

If it is, google 'wrt54g hacked firmware'.

-Des!

Comment

The gains from the third party linksys firmware with stock antennas are barely noticable. With higher gain antennas it may be better. I'm on my WRT54G with HyperWRT now set to 100% transmission over the stock 50%.

Comment

Does anyone know if this will work with the speedbooster version of the Linksys router?
              2005 Black Chevy Impala
              Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

I got myself a 500mW WLAN booster amp for inside the car and now I pick up mmy WIFI signal from about 50m away from the house. Cost me 99€ (~120US$) though
                Lilliput 7" TS TFT, ASRock K7VM2, Duron 1,3 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB Seagate HDD @ 5.400 rpm, WLAN w/ 500mW booster, Toshiba Slimline DVD-ROM Drive, D-Link USB Radio

Download the German Voicepack 1.0 for FreeDrive now!

Comment

There is third party firmware available for the speedbooster series of Linksys routers. Just check google.

Comment

THanks for all the help. I do have the larger linksys antennas I purchased seperately and use the WRT54G router. I was able to move it from the basement to the living room which seemd to help. But still I only get a 34% signal.
                    Thanks for the help

Comment

I might try a lan booster, I would like to start sharing my internet connection with others in my apartment. Would be nice for a side money maker. Road Runner is friggen expensive.

Comment

A stronger Antenna, maybe a directional antenna is a better option to the signal booster or AMP.

The problem with the AMP is it raises EVERYTHING. - adding an amp doubles the noise floor. double the signal, double the noise. Adding the AMP is not going to help if you have a high SNR.
                        Gizmo-
                        Techonlogy on Wheels
                        http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

Originally posted by pastypyro
                          Bigger antennas and a wifi amplifier are both things that would help. What router do you have?

Heres a few sites I found:

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wi...-amplifier.php

http://www.radiolabs.com/Articles/wifi-antenna.html

Also what card are you using in your car? I found a USB 802.11g card for 40 bucks online which comes with a 6db directional antenna.
                          awesome dude you see this on that site???
                          "There is also something called WarDriving which is where bad people drive around neighborhoods and get their high-speed access for free. We donít condone this, but if you want to read more about it, please go to www.wardriving.com. Itís fun and entertaining reading"
                          [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

Wifi Aerials

Try www.thewifishop.net for wifi aerials - magmounts and router aerials. Shipping all over the world.

Comment

Working...
                            X