Clearwire is here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearwire is here!

Just tried Clearwire and i'ts great except for coverage. If what they say is true coverage will quickly expand. Currently Modesto, Ripon and Salida has full coverage. My city is next, And Bay area is coming soon. They have towers in Stockton, Tracy and some parts of cities in Bay area. They said all those towers went up in four months.

I had broadband, faster than cable, while driving on the freeway from Modesto to Manteca (where I live)

Once they get my city done next month I will switch my home connection from cable to clearwire. I will also add a router/gateway to my carputer and use clearwire. I will be a moving hotspot. I feel real lucky right now cuz I was looking into using cell phone for internet and was really dicouraged with the cost and speeds offered. Clearwire should cure all of worries.
    Amd 2.8 ghz, 120gb hd, 512mb ram, 10.4" xenarc, Audigy 2 nx.
    Check out my system http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51876

how much?

I don't think it'd be suitable for a home connection would it? I've tried EVDO, and while it's pretty cool, the latency sucks...
    Stealth OEM spyder
    1204 dot net!

Comment

Originally posted by silencery
      how much?

I don't think it'd be suitable for a home connection would it? I've tried EVDO, and while it's pretty cool, the latency sucks...
      Cost $39.95 per month. $14.95 for the first 3 months. It's designed for home use. Twice as fast as cable.

Comment

not to burst your bubble....i have cable and its 4mps.

the part I LIKE IS what it does! dedicated broadband internet in the car! not bad for the price. just have to wait or move to get it.
        The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
        CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
        PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
        Memory:1G
        Drives:160gig
        WI-FI:Cingular
        GPS:IG2k9
        Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wireless internet is about to explode like cell phones did not too long ago. If you're looking to start a business or invest in some stock.....

Comment

Originally posted by numbers
            I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wireless internet is about to explode like cell phones did not too long ago. If you're looking to start a business or invest in some stock.....
            I totally agree with you. After I tried this out, I can't think of one reason why this wouldn't be "the next big thing". I was just letting people know that, if you're lucky enough to live in an area with this available, you gotta at least try it. It really is quite amazing what you can get for your money. I was just feeling fortunate that it came my way.

Comment

Whats clearwire ? (to a non informed uk person)
              Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                Whats clearwire ? (to a non informed uk person)
                Clearwire uses a state-of-the-art wireless modem that can be plugged into a desktop computer, laptop, or local network. It works by transmitting signals to and from nearby cellular towers instead of using a traditional phone line. That means you have the flexibility to set up the modem anywhere in your home or office upstairs or downstairs, inside or outside. Plus, your Clearwire connection is always on and always secure.

This is straight from the clearwire.com site. It works great in my car. Requires no set-up. Just plug in the ethernet wire and power and you're done. Trouble is that it currently isn't available in very many places.

Comment

...and always secure.
                  I'd be laughing right now if there weren't folks out there who believe and trust that. I swear marketing is destroying this country and it makes me sick.

Comment

Do you pay by the data transferred or is it a flat rate per month?

Comment

Flat rate for unlimited broadband. You can use the modem in your house and also take it with you and use it while driving, bring it to work etc.....

Comment

Hi all, Is this the new wireless network standard IEEE 802.16d, or more commonly know as WIMAX?? If anyone lives in Kent, UK especially around the Canterbury area you might be interested to look here http://www.telabria.com/aboutus/news...es.html#news17

Comment

Think: "Wimax"

Wish it were around here. Would certainly be cool for travel within a city, but not for long road trips unless the ISP provides a large coverage area.

When UMTS and EV-DO roll out then things will get even more exciting

Steve

Comment

I've been eye-ing this and it is available in my city. Here's their website if you want to learn more about their service: www.clearwire.com.
                            EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

EV-DO is pretty exciting, it'd just be nice if Verizon got off their high-horse and stopped extorting people for it..

I have it on my phone, and it's $15 a month so you can watch crappy video clips (or connect it to your computer and get online while violating the TOS agreement), whereas the data-only stuff with PCMCIA cards is $80 for unlimited broadband speeds.

We have a card in my boss's laptop, and that thing is fast...

Comment

Working...
                              X