Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stream Television to My car

Hello.

I am putting a computer system in my car which will have EVDO and wifi internet access, so I have a decent amount of bandwidth. At home I have a windows and a linux computer (both with tv tuners) and a cable modem.

What I want to know is this: How can I stream my cable tv stations to my car computer and be able to change the channel?

I know that I can use windows media encoder to send out a WMV stream from a given channel on my home computer, but it requires me to select the channel at the headend.

Is there any way (preferably simple) to send a video stream to my carputer and allow channels to be changed remotely, on the fly?

Thanks
    Steve
    Why would anybody want to be stuck driving with a roof over their head?

Ragtops all the way!

http://www.orb.com/

Comment

But what about bandwidth? I cant even stream a 128k MP3 file over sprint.
      Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

ATI TV cards let you stream over a network ( wireless / wired )
        I have never used it, but it looks good.

Comment

wow. Cool. Most of my area is covered by verizion's EVDO high-speed network, so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem

Thanks a lot
          Why would anybody want to be stuck driving with a roof over their head?

Ragtops all the way!

Comment

http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/

It allows you to remotely surf channels, and no subscription fees.
            Honda CRV Install:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...233#post390233

http://hihidamon.gfoto.com

Comment

dang it hihidamon, you beat me to my suggestion!

from what I hear (I do not actually own one), it automatically adjusts the video size to whatever your bandwidth is, allowing larger pictures at higher bandwidth and lower pictures at lower bandwidth. Now I don't know if the bandwidth is measured at the slingbox or at the end-user getting the signal, but either way the slingbox sounds awesome. It even learns the buttons on your TV/cable remote control, so you can remotely change channels, or even play back your DVR/PVR recorded shows.

It gets my seal of approval.

Comment

orb only works with certain TV tuners. Beyond TV works with pretty much all but it costs money.
                iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Cheaper way of doing this would be to get some sort of Remote Administrator type program and do a remote access to your computer that has the TV Tuner, and just change the channel like as if you were at home.

I use radmin.

www.radmin.com

Peace,

Rafster
                  Post # 3000

Comment

the slingbox is totally a valid answer for this

http://www.synthesisstudios.com/whit...ging-at-75mph/

works great over EVDO! and, when i've used it on my edge-based phone, or on my laptop on wifi, it uses totally different bandwidth amounts, and you can see quality change as the size of the screen gets resized.

Comment

I use Orb and I love it, and, it's free. The only downside for the streaming tv is that it's not live. As a matter of fact, my listings are on a 6 hour delay. I just use it for streaming recorded tv, photos, music, and videos... good stuff.
                      My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

Windows media encoder.
                        OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                        Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                        Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                        BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                        M2-ATX Power Supply
                        RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                        Windows XP SP3

Comment

a few days ago i had a conversation with myself, where i asked "how can i stream the land cable tv signal, from one computer with a tv tuner, to any computer, in house or over the internet?" (reason: just for the fun of it and to add it to the list of "apparently-useless-things-i've-done-but-that-might-be-handy-some-time")

the answer, after some search, came in the form of Unreal Media Server 5.0 (link)

it's a software-only solution for Windows, free (to a max of 15 concurrent connections), seems to be well documented and easy to use, and even allows to change channels (requires IIS) !!

i haven't tested it yet, but i hope to have some spare time to do it, shortly

has anyone tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Don 944 LA View Post
                            ATI TV cards let you stream over a network ( wireless / wired )
                            I have never used it, but it looks good.
                            Ok, I wanna know how... I have an ATI TV card and I don't see any option to do this..

Comment

Originally posted by sebberry View Post
                              Ok, I wanna know how... I have an ATI TV card and I don't see any option to do this..
                              Orb might do it for you, they say ATI support is in beta. Check out orb.com
                              HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Working...
                              X