Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

confuse wifi card (reboot software needed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confuse wifi card (reboot software needed)

Sometimes my network card (when under high traffic conditions) just seems to lose the plot, it drops out and hangs.

This is annoying if 400mb into copying a 500mb file and its happened more than once.

so, next time I leave it copying a file and it stops, can I get some software to reboot the machine?

I know thats a bit drastic but its xp not linux, linux could proably just unload the driver and re-load it etc.....

So, software to reboot the pc if nets gone down, checked every 5 minutes or so? gentlemen start your hard drives...........
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Double-check the properties of that device and make certain there's no power-saving enabled for it. I've run into this on other computers where a NIC shuts off to conserve power and anything going across teh network is hosed.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I dont know about getting the signal back, but i use download accel, and it will continue downloading from the spot it stopped.
      Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
      Syntax SV266AD KT266A
      AMD Athlon XP 2000
      Viking 256MB DDR
      D-Link Wireless 802.11B
      Seagate 120GB
      OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
      SII Wireless Audio Link
      Digimoto OBD-II
      Earthmate GPS
      BU-303 USB GPS
      D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Yup I fixed that, and then turned auto-reconnect on, but it seems to crash at a more hardware level.

Its just really damn annoying when Icomeback to it after an hour (or a sleep) and find its only ftp'd 25% of my mp3's or something.

If it rebooted it could continue by itself etc

Such software must exist for windows, its not like a hang is unheard of with xp users......

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey
          I dont know about getting the signal back, but i use download accel, and it will continue downloading from the spot it stopped.

But if I dont return to the machine for 12 hours its been wasting 12 hours of time and power.

I need it rebooted.

Then the software (emule, bitlord, ftp in startup directory or whatever) can resume where it left off.

This started as a crash when in ftp from server to car pc problem, I just mentioned internet as a simple ping to google/ibm/msn etc is a simple way to see if the card is still up.

Comment

Originally posted by lez
            But if I dont return to the machine for 12 hours its been wasting 12 hours of time and power.

I need it rebooted.

Then the software (emule, bitlord, ftp in startup directory or whatever) can resume where it left off.

This started as a crash when in ftp from server to car pc problem, I just mentioned internet as a simple ping to google/ibm/msn etc is a simple way to see if the card is still up.
            I'm not a programer, but on my server I have it reboot every 24hours, whether it needs it or not. I know its extreme, but maybe in your case, reboot every 'whatever' when you're away...

just a thought
            Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
            Syntax SV266AD KT266A
            AMD Athlon XP 2000
            Viking 256MB DDR
            D-Link Wireless 802.11B
            Seagate 120GB
            OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
            SII Wireless Audio Link
            Digimoto OBD-II
            Earthmate GPS
            BU-303 USB GPS
            D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Ok, another scenario

I have some p2p software running, and I've been in a q for 8 hours trying to get that last 1mb of 'earth 2 the complete series 1 dvd' because I cant buy it anywhere.

Now that download would never complete if I reboot every hour, because I would fall from the q

If the stupid card hangs I dont mind rebooting as I have fell from the q anyway, but that wont happen every hour.

Sometimes the card can go a few days with no problem, then it can go to lunch twice in an evening

I have just had another google to no avail, too many hits or not enough because the keywords are too vague, but someone must have a piece of software to do this.

'every 5 minutes check connection alive, reboot if not'

Comment

It would actually be a terribly easy program to write. Find someone capable and they should be able to do it in an afternoon.

Comment

If your using a 802.11G card try setting it in the B mode. G mode is supposedly a bit flakey. A lot higher transfer speeds but I was warned they crash all the time.

Are you running XP? If your card is just over heating and quitting, I would download this shutdown program.
                  http://www.budja.com/shutdown/

Then I would grab a cron program that's better than Windows Scheduler. Windows Schedular will do daily, but not hourly jobs.
                  http://www.downloadjunction.com/product/software/30619/

Comment

Another thing. My wife was complaining that her wireless was going down all day. When I got off my wired computer and turned it off she had no problems after that. maybe you can be having the same problem.

Comment

Try:
                      shutdown -r -t 0
                      from a command window.
                      Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                      Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                      Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

Nice but no cigar.

A cron jobwont help because I dont know if it has crashed every hour, and a shutdown program does just that, shuts down or reboots the machine.

I want a program that reboots the machine if after 5 minutes the internet is down.

Such things where very common some years ago, but I never had to use one back then and cant remember the names of any that where popular.

Comment

Save this is as rebootifnecessary.cmd
                          @ECHO OFF
                          ping www.google.com
                          if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="1" (
                          shutdown -r -t 0
                          )
                          I'm not sure if the error level is 1 for a failed ping due to lack of connection. It definitely is if you attempt to ping a host that doesn't exist.

Firewalls and the like may interfere with your ability to ping anyone. Make sure www.google.com is pingable - I can't check from work. yahoo.com definitely used to be.

Comment

Or, you could make it more complicated. Something like:
                            @ECHO OFF
                            set REBOOTREQUESTED=0
                            :Loop
                            ping www.google.com
                            if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" (
                            if "%REBOOTREQUESTED%"=="1" (
                            ECHO Cancelling pending shutdown request. Internet came back.
                            set REBOOTREQUESTED=0
                            shutdown -c
                            )
                            ) else (
                            ECHO No internet connection found. Setting reboot in 5 minutes.
                            set REBOOTREQUESTED=1
                            shutdown -r -t 300
                            )
                            goto :Loop

Comment

Good thinking. I hadn't thought of doing it with a batch file. Here's the same one cleaned up, with a typo or two fixed, and an extra if clause. I went ahead and tested it. Works great. Good work!

Code:
                              @ECHO OFF
                              set REBOOTREQUESTED=0
                              :Loop
                              ping www.google.com
                              if %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
                              if %REBOOTREQUESTED% == 1 (
                              ECHO Cancelling pending shutdown request. Internet came back.
                              set REBOOTREQUESTED=0
                              shutdown -a
                              )
                              ) else (
                              if %REBOOTREQUESTED% == 0 (
                              ECHO No internet connection found. Setting reboot in 5 minutes.
                              set REBOOTREQUESTED=1
                              shutdown -r -t 300 -c "This computer is rebooting in order to regain network connectivity"
                              )
                              )
                              goto :Loop

Comment

Working...
                              X