No announcement yet.

How to get wif on XP to auto-associate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get wif on XP to auto-associate.

I know jack about XP's wireless settings. I hope this isn't a "just search you damn newbie" question.

So, I've got this PCI wifi card I've got the "let Windows manage your wireless settings". checkbox set.

What I would like is the following behavior:
    - If I'm in range of my wireless network (defined by my SSID), then choose it.

- If my SSID isn't available or the association doesn't work (maybe it's someone else's AP with my chosen SSID), try and associate with the strongest signal. Keep trying in order strongest to weakest.

I would like this to be automatic. I'm imagining some "wireless dialer" app that would do this, I can see why XP wouldn't it's not really a likely use case. But I assume laptops have similar problems, so I'm hoping someone solved it already.
    My worklog.
    Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

go to network connections - open the properties of your wireless device and go to the wireless netowrk tab and under preferred networks just make sure yours is at the top

Comment

Originally posted by mccdeuce
      go to network connections - open the properties of your wireless device and go to the wireless netowrk tab and under preferred networks just make sure yours is at the top
      Sure, that solves that problem. Mine will always be prefered. But how about the other part of my question, getting the card to try and associate with open networks that aren't mine?
      My worklog.
      Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

Originally posted by kbyrd
        Sure, that solves that problem. Mine will always be prefered. But how about the other part of my question, getting the card to try and associate with open networks that aren't mine?
        Look around in the wireless config for

"Automatically Connect to Non-Prefered Networks"

and make sure it's checked

The location and wording of this setting might differ from SP1 to SP2, I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe in SP1 it's

1. Open Network Connections
        2. Right click on your wireless adapter's icon, then click Properties
        3. Click the Wireless Networks Tab
        4. Click the Advanced button

Comment

You can also try using a program called Winc, I believe at http://www.cirond.com/winc.php. I read a thread awhile back about how this might help your situation. Another solution was to to enter in all the default SSIDs that a lot of manufacturers use in order to help the search for open networks go faster.
          2005 Black Chevy Impala
          Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

There is another lengthy thread about this, but I don't think there is a satisfactory solution to it yet.
            Windows XP has all the right options in the WZC control panel, but I guess it scans too slowly to pick anything up whilst driving. I've tried playing with various SSID names as mentioned in that thread, and can't say I've had any success.
            Currently I'm using Netstumbler, giving it a live GPS and exporting the file to Stumbverter. This uses MapPoint maps to display the APs as pushpins, and a quick drive around will reveal loads! Then I know where to park if I want to do a quick bit of surfing or whatever. It's not seamless, but works for me.
            www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

Working...
            X