Trying to set up internet access on car pc can anyone help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to set up internet access on car pc can anyone help

Hi all i am trying to set my car pc up just really for emails but what do i need?

i have a nokia 6680 on 3 network in the uk which is bluetooth and i have a bluetooth dongle but where do i go from here??

a little help please

cheers

Paul
    car- honda crv 2004
    carputer-installed
    screen-lillput
    40gb harddrive
    pryme nav-sat nav
    carnetix-1260

Did you get a cd with the phone? This should have some drivers on it to make it act as a modem.
    You can either use it this way or if you phone can recive e-mail you can download them to the phone then sync them to the pc.
    I do it this way with my spv m500 (orange in uk) and it works well as i can still get my mail out of the car.

For using as a bluetooth modem for a mobile internet connection i set it up with the software that came with my (widdcom) bluetooth dongel:
    Go into bluetooth softwarethen click view devices in range
    select your phone, click discover available services
    if dial-up networking comes up click it and create a new dial-up connection.
    You will need the settings from 3 to put in here.
    Then select your phone on the modems list and use the drivers of the phones cd for it.

Most of this should be in the user guide that came with your phone, if not you can call 3 and they can/might talk you through it.. orange data support will give you step by step instructions while you sit at your pc!

Also, note that you might want to buy an upfront data bundle. Most networks charge by the MB for data RECIVED AND SENT so you can soon rack up a huge bill.
    The orange gumpf reckons 1mb is 100 e-mails but i only download the headers on my phone and then the ones i want to read and i get through 15mb/mth EASY!
    PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

id like to jump in here, as an ex-carphone warehouse employee i know about the networks. 3, unfortunately, have a walled 'garden' of internet. you can only access 3's sites and thats it - the network doesnt allow any outside access. sux i know...
      http://www.digital-car.co.uk

Comment

Well, if you cant do it on 3, another option for you might be to get a data card.
        I thing these are available for most of the major networks..
        The orange one, for example, plugs into a PCMCIA slot on a laptop and connects to the orange 3G network (will auto-switch to GPRS if 3G unavailable) and your computer will treat it like a broadband connection, ie. allways on.

They are 300+ from the dealers but you can find them easy on ebay, then just call your network provider and they will send you a sim card on PAYG or prepay.

This keeps your phone free and gives a higher connection speed.

I nearly used one but i have filled up my PCMCIA slot with a usb card..
        PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

Working...
        X