Need help with cell phone choices!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with cell phone choices!

OK, I may know a good bit about carPC's but I'm a total noob when it comes to cell phones. I currently have a LG VX10 that's about 3 years old. The display is going bad, so I need to do something... I also have my service through verizon. I'm thinking about switching to Cingular, but only because verizon annoys me. They charge me for everything except breathing.

Anyway, I want a phone that is bluetooth capable, that I can link my PC to the internet through without paying those ridiculous data plan rates, and it has to be a flip style with vibrate. Other than that, I don't care what the phone does. I don't need a camera or keyboard or video playback or MP3 playing. To me, it's just a phone. You call people. It would be nice if I could connect to the internet with my car PC for occasional traffic updates or download a driver or some such. I don't need a constant connection.

So... what can all of you smart phone guys tell me? Should I go for a Razr? a VX8000? what? I don't even know any other phones...

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

razr has a nice camera for a small flip, better in low light that a t610 based camera etc.

can you get an equiv of an o2 xda2i ?

bit bigger but so many features
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

I have the Razr, and like it alot. I also have Cingular which is... eh. Besides signing me up for "roadside service" without telling me, which was free the first month and magically showed up on the bill after that (they took it off when I *****ed at them,) they've been alright.

I think Verizon has the highest consumer satisfaction ratings though. So if you don't like them... well, what can I say, all telcos are Evil.

Comment

With most sprint phones you can get a cable that will let you use your phone as a modem. You need the $14.95/mo Vision service for it to work. If they realize you're connected to a pc though, rather than just browsing on the phone, supposedly they'll cut off your Vision service since you're technically supposed to have an expensive data plan with an expensive PCMIwhatever card.

I've been doing it for years and haven't had any problems yet. Speeds are about the same as a 56k modem.

http://www.3gcables.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
          I also have Cingular which is... eh. Besides signing me up for "roadside service" without telling me, which was free the first month and magically showed up on the bill after that (they took it off when I *****ed at them,) they've been alright.
          You also have to watch your contract through them. My wife and I signed up for one of the Family Talk Plans (we signed into a 1 year contract). Well the other day I was checking our minutes on the website and I decided to check out the contract information. Website says that we have a 2 year contract. Hmmmm, did a quick check through the newsgroups and it seems that if you change anything after your initial contract (we had to switch phones within the first 30 days because of a defective phone) then it automatically reverts in cinuglars computer to the "default" 2 year plan. A lot of people have been affected and they dont even know it until they happen to check the website or they go in to renew (or cancel) their contract.

So now we are trying to catch our rep (we purchased through a local store) so that we can get this taken care of. I did not want a 2 yr contract (1 is bad enough) and I sure as hell didnt want a 2 year contract when we didnt get the rebates and what not for it.

C-ya
          Chris
          -----------------------------
          Dell P2 400 Laptop (reworked)
          GPS Mouse -w- Iguidence
          802.11 Realtek PCMCIA Network card
          Custom Laptop Stand

www.chrisrowland.com
          ------------------------------

Comment

alright. specs on the silver razr says it has mpeg-4 recording. can anyone confirm this? would like to pick one up tomarrow and im just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by partyharty
              You also have to watch your contract through them. My wife and I signed up for one of the Family Talk Plans (we signed into a 1 year contract). Well the other day I was checking our minutes on the website and I decided to check out the contract information. Website says that we have a 2 year contract. Hmmmm, did a quick check through the newsgroups and it seems that if you change anything after your initial contract (we had to switch phones within the first 30 days because of a defective phone) then it automatically reverts in cinuglars computer to the "default" 2 year plan. A lot of people have been affected and they dont even know it until they happen to check the website or they go in to renew (or cancel) their contract.

So now we are trying to catch our rep (we purchased through a local store) so that we can get this taken care of. I did not want a 2 yr contract (1 is bad enough) and I sure as hell didnt want a 2 year contract when we didnt get the rebates and what not for it.

C-ya
              Chris
              Actually, the way it works is....

If you get a 1 year contract, you can change ANYTHING on the account for the 1st 6 Months. After that, it will restart your contract.
              If you get a 2 year contract, you can change ANYTHING on the account for the 1st year.

I worked in the Cellular industry for the past 4 years. My last job was @ Cingular.

@tom2112: The phones that Cingular currently offer that meet your criteria are:

Sony Ericsson Z520A - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=765
              Samsung SGH-D307 - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=751
              Motorola V540 (Same as V551/V557 except no Camera) - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=779
              Motorola V551/557 - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=591
              Motorola V3 RAZR - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=547

I can tell you right now, the V557 has some major software/firmware issues. If you can, get the V540, V551, RAZR, or the Z520A. I've used all of these phones and have been REALLY happy with their performance.

Feel free to PM me/IM me if you want some personal help with decision making. Check my profile for all my contact info.

Also, if you want an easy way of making $25, let me know.

Peace,

Rafster

BTW: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=Verizon
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=Verizon
              Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Escalade182
                alright. specs on the silver razr says it has mpeg-4 recording. can anyone confirm this? would like to pick one up tomarrow and im just curious.
                Actually, it's MPEG 4 Playback
                http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=547

Peace,

Rafster
                Post # 3000

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

One more question:
                  If I buy an unlocked phone, so I can avoid a contract, what's the scoop with that? How do I get the phone setup with my current service? Can I change service and keep that phone because it's unlocked? I guess I just don't understand the whole unlocked thing.
                  So far:
                  M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

much much cheaper to buy a phone with a contract. MUCH. I just picked up a razr today from the t-mobile dealer for $50

if you look around the classified forums, a razr usualy runs around $175 used. all I had to do was "renew" my contract (free)

Comment

but if you do buy an unlocked phone. I think you just call your service provider and they'll make the phone whatever you have. GSM's are cards for t-mobile, boost mobile, nextel and many other brand. just a simple card you slide into the back of the phone.(sometimes the front) but I dont know the other kind. but its applies to sprint, verizon...and many others meaning the phone is just programmed. (4 letter acronym)

Comment

Try Howard Forums for best Phone Info

If you want the best info on phone types and carriers go to http://www.howardforums.com/ This is a site dedicated to cellphones, just like MP3Car is dedicated to carputers. Howard forums has a lot of hacks for your phone, advice how to get the most from your phone, and where to go for the latest updates. It is a great forum for information.

Just to clear up some misinformation here (I work in the cell industry and have for a long time). There are two major technologies in the US, GSM and CDMA - plus a number of older technologies (AMPS, and TDMA).

Sprint and Verizon use CDMA networks, and their phones are now just starting to support Bluetooth. If you want a phone that will use bluetooth and programs like PhoneControl - you will be unhappy with a CDMA phone as the CDMA operators have only implemented a limited feature set of Bluetooth - basically handsfree capabilities. CDMA can roam into Canada, parts of Latin America, Australia, and some limited parts of Asia.

Cingular and TMobile use GSM and GSM has widely embraced bluetooth. So if you want to get the most out of bluetooth, go with GSM. Also, GSM is the only technology that uses SIM cards and SIM card locks. GSM can roam virtually anywhere in the world.

Nextel uses a proprietary technology called iDen that only works on their networks. So if you buy a Nextel phone you can't use it on anyone else's network.

I personally have an LG VX8000 on Verizon. For voice quality and coverage it is hard to beat CDMA. However, I'm thinking of switching to the Razor because I want to use the features of PhoneControl on my carputer.

Hope this helps.

GRod
                        Carputer/AV System ~95% complete
                        Parts all acquired - testing underway
                        Fabrication and integration underway
                        More on my Ride

Comment

razr, not razor

Comment

Ouch! Busted by the spellcheck police
                            Carputer/AV System ~95% complete
                            Parts all acquired - testing underway
                            Fabrication and integration underway
                            More on my Ride

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
                              I have the Razr, and like it alot. I also have Cingular which is... eh. Besides signing me up for "roadside service" without telling me, which was free the first month and magically showed up on the bill after that (they took it off when I *****ed at them,) they've been alright.

I think Verizon has the highest consumer satisfaction ratings though. So if you don't like them... well, what can I say, all telcos are Evil.
                              I have the Razr and Cingular as well, both of which I like a lot.
                              1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

Working...
                              X