Bluetooth Minipci?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth Minipci?

I'm thinking about getting this, refurbished for ~$750, but I want internal bluetooth, dammit!

The only bluetooth minipci card I have been able to find is this one which "only support[s] MSI notebooks."

I have been searching for weeks, but cannot find another. This has limited me somewhat in my choice for a laptop. Since Averatec and MSI are the same company, I would think that the minipci card would work in the Averatec. I would really like to get a thinkpad from Overstock.com for ~$650, but I'm stuck on my bluetooth options.

Anyone know where I can get a universal bluetooth minipci card?
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

nobody?
    I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

depending on where you are going to hide you notebook (in the trunk), a build-in BT card may not give you the best reception. I though it would be better to get one of those USB BT dongle and just leave it on the panel behind the rear seat headrest.

Comment

increasing your debit again, wizardPC?

Comment

@merlion: This is not for in-car use. I have a BookPC for that

@LagunaICE: It's DEBT, not DEBIT, and it is possible to pay for things without incurring debt :P
          I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...GBT2&class=com

this is a newer version with WLAN G and BT2. but similarly stated only to work with MSI notebook.
            decided to obtain a piece to try with generic miniPCI (EPIA platform). will let u know if it works.
            CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

Comment

would the thinkpad have a CF card slot? mine does. YOu could just put a BT module in there.

Comment

OR....risky I know...but you could always take apart a usb BT module and a small usb hub, remove all the crap and solder them inside your laptop. Then connect the laptop USB port to the hub.

Bit of a silly idea I know unless you have a cavernous laptop with loads of room but it could be done.

Comment

@ptk: THANKS!

@Scouse: http://www.grynx.com/index.php/proje...nal-bluetooth/
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

MSI will not work in another brand PC. The MiniPCI is based on the atheros (sp?) standard and MSI uses unused pins (according to the standard unused) for the bluetooth.

There's a post on averatec's forum about soldering a usb device inside the pc.

If you're going to be using CF/PCMCIA i'd recommed Socket (rather expensive). It has no protruding antenna and very good range.
                    Car: 2006 Scion tC (Buying)
                    CPU: AOpen Pandora/1.5 Cel M/1GB DDR2/Ipod Vid
                    Screen: Lilliput 7"
                    Power: Carnetix 1900
                    GPS: Deluo GPS
                    Software: nLiteXP, RR, IG, PhoCo
                    XM: XM Direct
                    http://www.chrispuckett.com/mp3car/

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                      ahh using the docking port connectors - clever. Why dont you just do summit like that?

Comment

Working...
                      X