No announcement yet.

Transferring files over wireless link..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring files over wireless link..

Hi all,
    I have spent a fair few hours searching around here and playing with my pc,s but i am still to dumb to work it out.

I have connected a wireless router/hub to my desktop pc (54mbps 802g) and put a pcmcia wireless card in my laptop. All drivers are installed and devices are working fine.

Now, The bit i cant work out..

How do i move stuff from one pc to another?
    Do i need special software or can i do it through windows (xp pro)

I am hoping to rip my cd's to a folder (called 'to upload') on my desktop then just 'cut and past' into my media folder on the laptop.

I am sure this is simple, i just cant do it!
    PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Ok, I have just re-read this post and i could have explained things better!

I have set up a network using the windows wizard and i can move files over if i put them into my 'shared docs' folder on my desktop.

What i would really like is some way of setting my laptop up so i can either launch an app (frodo is my front end) or click one button and get my car pc to connect to my home pc (if in range) and just cut and past anything in my 'to upload' folder to my 'media' folder on my usb hdd.

Is this simple enough or is it going to be a manual (open windows explorer/network places/home pc then cut, same on my laptop then past) operation each time?

I dont want it to do it automaticly whenever in range, just whenever i chose!

Also, the files i have transferred take ages. I get a connection speed of 48MBPS so i work it that a 533mb folder should take 12seconds. (533 dvide 48 = 11.1)
    It took over 8 mins to copy it. Is this normal?

Thanks!
    PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

just because you are connected at 48Mbps does not mean that you have the full 48Mbps available for the copy process... plus in the copy process windows checks to make sure that what you are copying is what you sent to the destination .. so that adds network traffic... plus you also have hard drive speeds that affect how fast you can copy stuff...

so yeah.. copying will take you longer than 12 seconds...
      Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

hotponyshoes:
        You need to set up a shared folder or drive on one computer or the other. I suggest a shared folder on the home computer.
        You simply create a shortcut to the shared folder on the desktop of the vehicle computer. When you're connected to that network, all you need to do is double-click on that shortcut, and you can copy/paste files to the shared location as you'd like.

And yes, copying files across a wireless network is going to be slow. Hell, I'm so used to dealing with gigabit networks for clients that I perceive the 100mbit LAN in my apartment as slow.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You're connected at 48 megaBITS per second, and you have 533 megaBYTES to transfer. That's 533 * 8 / 48 = 89 seconds. The added time over that is for all of the reasons mentioned... and just because it's wireless. You can rarely achieve the speeds advertised and, depending on your connection, you may be getting a lot of failed/repeated transmissions.

Comment

Get a cable. It's faster to trasnsfer at 100mbps than over wireless link @ 54. Even with a strong signal. I know because i've got both and it takes forever.
            CAR INFO HERE
            "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

First of all on both comp you should put the same network workgroup name (home, office, ...). On both kompjuters you must install (in network connections) for each network card (wireless) IPX/SPX protocol.
              This should work 100%

Comment

Working...
              X