Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend WiFi card and Antenna?

Hi guys,

I've been reading this WiFi forum for several hours and I have a few questions.

The Senao WiFi Cards seem to be recommended a lot. There were two sites recommended from which to buy this card. One site is being overhauled and has no info and the other site is down completely. Where can I purchase this card other than ebay?

I haven't bought my motherboard yet. If I go with a Mini MB there is only one PCI slot and I don't want to use it for the WiFi card.

So...should I buy a PCMCIA WiFi card along with a USB2PCMCIA adapter?

What is the most powerful WiFi card for my carputer? Basically, I want to buy the best card out there and I'm looking for suggestions.

Also, can someone point me to place to purchase an Antenna of at least +7DB gain? What is a good antenna or set of antennas?

Thanks.
    8" Lilli TS
    MB896F Mini-ITX MB
    2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
    1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
    Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
    ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
    Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
    Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
    3COM BKP Cam

Do a search for "wireless adapter".
    EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

Edi,

Been there, done that. Looking for some help here.
      8" Lilli TS
      MB896F Mini-ITX MB
      1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
      Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
      3COM BKP Cam

Comment

Look for a motherboard that has a mini-PCI adapter. There are a number. Then, go with the wireless card I have, the Senmao EMP-8602. Highest powered card that I was able to find, 400 mW, with good recieving sensitivity, as well. Find it on eBay for about $90

It uses a small U.Fl type connector, get a U.Fl to N-type pigtail (www.moonblink.com) and then get a decent antenna that uses an n-type connector.

There, thats my advice for the day.
        Dave
        2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
        Core Duo CarPC
        CarDomain page

Comment

Caelric,

Thank you! That is excellent advice and is exactly what I will do. I see it supports 2 antennas, too, so it should be perfect for my needs.

Thanks again.

Dave
          8" Lilli TS
          MB896F Mini-ITX MB
          1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
          Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
          3COM BKP Cam

Comment

You will need two pigtails, then., but that shouldn't be a problem.

Dave
            2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
            Core Duo CarPC
            CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
              Edi,

Been there, done that. Looking for some help here.
              I did offer a help. A search for "wireless adapter" produced a post "Engenius/Senao USB Wireless adapter". That post has a link for keenansystems.com, a provider of the products you are looking for.
              EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

I'm using an Ornico Gold PCMCIA with one of the cheap-o antennas from ebay (this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/WiFi-7dB-Mobile-...QQcmdZViewItem )

I cant belive how many APs I can pick up with this thing, for 15 bucks shipped you can't beat it.

Im sure there is better antenna out there, but if you looking for a cheap solution, check those cheap ebay ones out. Orinoco cards have always worked great for me.

Comment

chances are you bought one of the cheaper ones I've seen. With the ****ty cabling they are shipped with you lose as much as you supposobly gain with the antenna so all it does is act as if your carputer pci or usb receiver is on the roof of your car.

Comment

Working...
                  X