No announcement yet.

Amplify receiving 802.11 signal?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplify receiving 802.11 signal?

Other than switching out antennas and whatnot and legality aside, can you amplify the receiving end of an antenna to increase signal reception, or is that a fat chance?

But also on that, for doing ADHOC setups, can you amplify that signal a bit better for others connecting to you?
    2012 Honda Pilot (In Progress)
    2010 Honda Accord (After the Pilot)
    2008 Honda VTX1800N

You will need to amplify send and receive. You can't connect to a network with out transmitting data as well as receiving. Its like trying to communicate with a friend by whispering while they are yelling and you are 100 yards apart.

The easiest way to amplify signal is by getting a higher gain external antenna.

You can also use amplifiers...compusa had a 500mw on sale for 69.99.
      Asus MicroATX with GeFore 6100, Mobile Sempron 3300+, 1Gig Ram, 320GB 3.5" 7200UPM HDD, M2-ATX, Gain/Xenarc 7"

Fast IS my copilot

If you have a Linksys router (WRT54g + others), you can update the firmware and crank up the transmit power. I use dd-wrt and boosted the transmit power from 27mW to 70mW. You can do more with active cooling.

Yes you can amplify it using a standalone amp. Using a high gain antenna alone will not boost your signal very significantly though. When you combine a high gain antenna with an amplifier, then you will get a MUCH improved range.
          I am using my wireless card together with a 2000mW amplifier and 14.4dBi antenna, which gives me about 60 AP's in my driveway instead of 3.

The #1 thing to look for in an amplifier is the "recieve gain." The wattage and transmit power does not matter as much; you can have a 1watt amplifier but that does not mean your signal will be much better unless you have a recieve gain of at LEAST 12db. For optimal signal boost, get something that has a 23+db gain on the recieve end. You can find some good quality products on (that's where I get all my wireless stuff)

By the way I am not encouraging anyone to go this route. Please check your local FCC regulations to make sure you are not in violation of any codes.