Wi-Fi Range improvement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wi-Fi Range improvement

I am currently using a tablet type PC with build in Wi-Fi but it does not have external antena port. The reception inside the car is pretty poor. What are my options to improve the signal? Is there such things as wireless repeater for car, like the one we use at home?

There are transceivers available but they require you to crack the case and hook the external antenna to the PC board. HOWEVER, I just bought a new transceiver for my Apple iBook that works via a proximity effect and it works great! You can also remove the 2db antenna and add other external antennas via an RP-SMA connection, including running a cable outside the car to a roof mounted antenna. Check with them to see if the unit is compatible with your PC (retails for $200 but you can find it elsewhere for less online). Here's the link:

http://www.quickertek.com/

Comment

Why not just buy a USB wifi adapter with an external attena plug? Its a lot cheaper.

Comment

I would agree with that question.. only reason I could see for not is lack of ports or want to take computer with easily.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdlrn
          I would agree with that question.. only reason I could see for not is lack of ports or want to take computer with easily.
          Sorry for the late reply. Hasn't log in for a while.

That's exactly the point why I opt for portable PC on my ride. With external USB Wi-Fi dongle, I have to disconnect it each time I leave the car. It will also sometimes interfere with the build in Wi-Fi card.

Comment

Working...
          X