Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Sprint Samsung A920 As Modem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Using Sprint Samsung A920 As Modem

    How do you do this? I managed to dig up my data cable that I thought I lost, but I lost the driver CD. Found the drivers for an A900/940, which is pretty much the same as an 920, installed them on my shuttle. It found my phone as a modem, I setup a dial-up connection. Is this the right direction? I didn't get to take it any further as I am at work and had to clock back in, and don't have a spare monitor.

    But after I get this far, do I have to still use it as a "Dial-Up" connection and log in as 777? I had did a quick search about "Sprint" in this forum, and it pulled up a thread from '04, which was last posted to early this year, just wanted to know if this is still the way to connect.

  • #2
    I don't know.
    You might try http://www.howardforums.com though...
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      You can download the sprint connection manager from www.sprint.com/downloads they have a version with all the drivers for samsung handhelds. I'm not sure about actual usage cost though. I know in the AZ area they have unlimited "tethered" data plans for $40.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by u4ia
        You can download the sprint connection manager from www.sprint.com/downloads they have a version with all the drivers for samsung handhelds. I'm not sure about actual usage cost though. I know in the AZ area they have unlimited "tethered" data plans for $40.
        As far as I know, if you get the Sprint Power VisionSM Access Pack for $15.00/month you can get unlimited tethered access to the internet...

        Peace,

        Rafster
        Post # 3000

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rafster
          As far as I know, if you get the Sprint Power VisionSM Access Pack for $15.00/month you can get unlimited tethered access to the internet...

          Peace,

          Rafster
          As far as I know the above is only for non-EVDO phones, which I thought the A-920 is. Unlimited EVDO as a data modem is $60/mth here.
          HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Twinsen
            How do you do this? I managed to dig up my data cable that I thought I lost, but I lost the driver CD. Found the drivers for an A900/940, which is pretty much the same as an 920, installed them on my shuttle. It found my phone as a modem, I setup a dial-up connection. Is this the right direction? I didn't get to take it any further as I am at work and had to clock back in, and don't have a spare monitor.

            But after I get this far, do I have to still use it as a "Dial-Up" connection and log in as 777? I had did a quick search about "Sprint" in this forum, and it pulled up a thread from '04, which was last posted to early this year, just wanted to know if this is still the way to connect.
            Yes that works, and here are the complete steps. I have the A900 and as far as I know the steps are the same. DO NOT INSTALL the Sprint PCS connection manager... just see the steps here -HERE-
            Basically you have to disable the phone's modem NAI and then it'll let you connect via the #777. There is debate as to whether or not you'll get charged for this, some have, others haven't. I have the Power Vision Pack with unlimited data/web, so we'll see... I've been using mine for just under a month now... :-) I have been connecting at about 930kbps :-)

            Also I have the A900 drivers that I use on my site in the CarPC Software Section. You can use either the USB data cable or Bluetooth to connect. I use Bluetooth, but have connected with the USB data cable.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sweet, exactly what I needed, I'll give it a try on my break.

              Comment


              • #8
                since this thread is about sprint, i have treo 650, so all i have to get is the bluebooth doogle or whatever to connect to internet??

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kickercivic1
                  since this thread is about sprint, i have treo 650, so all i have to get is the bluebooth doogle or whatever to connect to internet??
                  naw... youll also need pdanet (http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/)

                  then you just get the bluetooth dongle and install palm desktop and only then will be ready to go on the internet with your PC/laptop!
                  '05 Acura TL w/ Navi & Bluetooth, JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio XR650 CSI, JL Audio XR650 CXI, JL Audio 300/4 Speaker Amp, Eclipse SW6123.4 12" Sub, JL Audio 250/1 Sub Amp, Optima D35 YellowTop Battery http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473/1

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, thanks for all the help, works fine on my phone. Don't know if it'll be charged or not. I am on the Unlimited Vision pack, so I dunno. But man, its barely faster than dial up. It connects at I think 280kpbs, and downloads are 32kbp/s...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think it depends on the area you use it. I'd been using mine in northern New Mexico for probably almost 2 months. Then I took a trip to So Cal, used it there for about 6 minutes, then it was disabled. It was weird. Called them up, said I had to sign up for phone as modem, I got the unlimited $50 a month. Then I came across the NAI info, but don't have the balls to try. My company pays for it anyway.
                      Tidder

                      Try RevFE
                      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


                      I Wish I could ban people

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey W3bMa5t3r,

                        Any update on the bill? I've been a PCS customer for a while (over 5 years). and when I called them they said the only way I could connect to the internet with a computer and their service was to add another $60/m to my plan that charges by the MB! I gave up on that idea quick.
                        My Install Thread
                        digitaljetta.com

                        MKIV VW Jetta
                        How do I get sound to my car?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ppgt94
                          Hey W3bMa5t3r,

                          Any update on the bill? I've been a PCS customer for a while (over 5 years). and when I called them they said the only way I could connect to the internet with a computer and their service was to add another $60/m to my plan that charges by the MB! I gave up on that idea quick.
                          I haven't been charged yet, but then again, I really haven't used it all that much, only for a few weather updates. I've had the car pc out of the car for the past few weeks as I'm installing the 10.4" touchscreen... lol

                          I'll let you all know though if anything changes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by W3bMa5t3r View Post
                            I haven't been charged yet, but then again, I really haven't used it all that much, only for a few weather updates. I've had the car pc out of the car for the past few weeks as I'm installing the 10.4" touchscreen... lol

                            I'll let you all know though if anything changes.
                            Just thought I'd give an update. I've been using my phone as we all talked about and not a single charge yet. My data usage is: my phone is connected via bluetooth as soon as my system starts up and I use a gps tracker program, so I'm sending that data every sec. I'm also using sonicxtacy's livetraffic traffic camera program and downloading those pics.

                            everything seems to be working great with no adverse charges.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
                              As far as I know the above is only for non-EVDO phones, which I thought the A-920 is. Unlimited EVDO as a data modem is $60/mth here.
                              If you have a voice plan on your EVDO phone, the data plan drops to $50/mo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X