WiFi Hopper - WLAN Scanner and autoconnecter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi Hopper - WLAN Scanner and autoconnecter

I tried searching but I didn't see anything like this. This is my first post in the months I have been lurking. This must mean I am getting smart enough to be an actual useful member! Wow, I hope my excitement isn't premature... I have just stumbled upon this software to scan and automatically connect to WLANs. I haven't used it yet, but plan on playing with it after work. I will let you know what I think of it later.

http://www.wifihopper.com

From the website:

WiFi Hopper is a WLAN utility that combines the features of a Network Discovery and Site Survey tool with a Connection Manager.

Sporting a comprehensive arsenal of network details, filters, RSSI graphing and built-in GPS support, WiFi Hopper is invaluable for identification and advanced characterization of neighboring wireless devices.

Additionally, WiFi Hopper can connect to unsecured, WEP, WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK networks directly from within the application. With editable network profiles and dedicated Connection Manager execution mode, WiFi Hopper can be used as a significantly more transparent replacement for Windows and manufacturer-provided wireless clients.
    Yeah google!

odd.
    Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

I dont see it being that much different to what XP SP2 has when you know how to work it.
      Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

only problem with xp is the speed of which it checks for networks. Something faster would be great
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

It looks like this app also can tell you GPS coords of where the network is. I tried a similar plugin for NetStumbler and Google Earth, it was pretty cool. Had little icons popping into Google Earth of where wifi spots were.
          ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Good find, I am glad there is someone out there that cares enough to bring these kinds of things to our attention.

Comment

looks like a niec program.. definitely refreshes faster than xp.. i only wonder how resource heavier it is compared to wireless zero. I'm gonna try it in the car once i get it goin. Only problem i see is you have to set it to hopping mode everytime the program is started.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm trying to figure out how this is any better/different than Netstumbler or WinC?
                My Install Thread
                digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

netstumbler afaik does not connect, it just scans
                  PC Components:
                  Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                  My work log

Comment

Netstumbler isn't a connection manager. It's an auditing tool.
                    Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

I found this the other day and posted about it here:
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72382

But hopefully this thread will get a greater response..

This tool will jump between hotspots. The only negative I can see at the moment is the inability to export your data to CSV to create POI's.

I've managed to embed it in my FE but only tested it on the desk and some local AP's at present

Also works on 2k, which is good. Appears to not use too much CPU either. Actually quite a good alternative to Cirond or NS IMO.
                      Originally Posted by feral
                      And for some other name's, how about
                      'Free-way'

Comment

OK, so this is more like a mix of WinC, which has connection capability, and Netstumbler with more advanced auditing, analyzing options and GPS? Sounds good to me. I'll give it a shot this weekend.
                        My Install Thread
                        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

here's a script i made to launch the program and set it to hopping mode automatically. you need to download autoit 3 to run it
                          Attached Files

Comment

While on hopping mode, does it connect to your home network automaically if detected? In other words, does it let you set your preferred networks like Windows Wireless Zero?
                            iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                            CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

yes you can prioritize networks thru the network profiler. That was a must for me. When not in your home area it connects to the strongest signal. Which is a gift and a curse primarily if ur in a zone with alot of accessible networks. It changes back and forth without really needing to.

Comment

Working...
                              X