Wep, wap security blabla... needed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wep, wap security blabla... needed?

(Sorry the type error.. should be wpa instead of wap)
    I have finally got my wanted Engenius Wireless USB Wifi adapter (EUB 362 EXT)
    Similair item:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SENAO-NUB-362-EX...QQcmdZViewItem
    It was very easy to setup and I instantly got a view of about 10 nearby wireless connections available.
    The program selected one and often at good speeds. feels just like being home at my 10mbit fixed connection. and that is with the device just sitting on my table with the included small antenna. Very impressive. Recommend it to anyone!

Now to my concern. In the manual there is about 20 pages with info and illustrative info on how to configure all of the available security choices... wep,wpa,ultra,super,duper,mega.. and so on.. Anyway.. using my computer at home I have the hardware router as a shield to internet threats and a anitivirus program. This way no unwanted info is coming to my fixed home pc.
    With this little device I am a little unsure...
    I will be doing driving-around, trying to connect to various networks when I want to check email etc.... I will not be anywhere where I know any password or passkey to any network that is discoverable.

I would likt to do this as easy as possible so that I can connect to internet with my touchscreen. Also to have all the security on autopilot.

I tried the basic "no security" and I instantly got connecting to internet. I then tried some security settings but never got any signal after that. Do You people suggest I dont need any security and just instead install a software based firewall? Will It still be safe to check emails or do I have to enable some of the wireless security options?

When do I need the wep wpa thing??
    Black SolarCell Portable Bluetooth Gps reciever for sale, Contact me!
    BMW E46 320 Touring project thread, making the perfect multimedia car ;)
    BMW E46 WORKLOG

You only need/want security if you're connecting to a secured network or you want to secure a network.

You really should do some more in-depth reading about wireless LAN technology before getting into setting WPA and WEP encryption. It's like seeing a big red button, wondering what it does and pressing it to find out.
    You can cause problems that way.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all those security measures are stuff that would be on the access-point side, to protect the network from unauthorized users, not on your side, to protect you. It's not so much a firewall, as just access control.
      Presumably the only time you would have to set up the security stuff would be to actually access a protected network, or possibly if you were using your wifi adapter in ad-hoc mode.
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies
        I did some wpa and ip-filtering settings on my home network. But that was beacuse I only wanted my 2 home computers to access the router. I also typed in the 2 nic id´s that was the only ones that was in use. So trying to connect to my network without knowing my settings or have any kind of "verbal communication" with me personally would probably be useless.

So... when connecting to others...
        I could of course configure different profiles that tries the default passkeys on the locked networks that are found.... but I guess the most easy way is to just set the security to "none" and install a software firewall and use antivirus.

But then again... my info (passwords etc.) that I send via the discovered access point in "security none" mode, wirelessly, is there any encryption on the wireless data that can be auto-enabled without permission from the access-point owner or is the wardriving thing just "use at Your own risk?"

I ask since I saw a program of someone hacking into a hospital journal files very easy since they did use wireless communication inside the hospital.
        BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpc
          is the wardriving thing just "use at Your own risk?"
          That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while, hahahahaha. Who else should have to have risk when you're on their network without permission?

No, there's no "auto encryption". Why should there be when they don't want you on their network anyways? Remember, you're the one sneaking about, and beggars can't be choosers. What I do when I'm on my laptop in an unsecured area is VPN to my secured network. This encryption works because I'm on both ends of the connection now.

BTW, what does the hospital thing have to do with this? I imagine the piece was on open networks, and not about encryption. There's very little "hacking" with open networks.
          Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
          Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
          Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
          Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
          ...it never ends

Comment

Even with a vpn connection don't ever do anything on a public access point that you wouldn't want out in the open.
            Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Well, with a L2TP connection between the laptop and a VPN server out there on the 'net, traffic is encrypted between the two points, with no care of how many points lie in between. It doesn't matter if it floats by on unecrypted wireless or not since the packets leaving the laptop is already encrypted. Now, of course you don't want the stream captured and analyzed, but at least it works against the casual observer.
              ...it never ends

Comment

Thing is though, that you have to establish the connection over an unsecured wireless network that's not in your control. Who knows what is on the network sniffing the whole exchange.

Comment

With a PPTP, you'd be right to be concerned since the initial handshake is plaintext, but L2TP should have no such problems. Or, since the server end is controlled, a One Time Pad system is possible. Possibilities abound.

Anyways, we're way off subject.
                  ...it never ends

Comment

Guess I have to read about what those tppt2ttp2ptp means cuz it doesnt make any sense with my current computer skills.
                    Anyway running with wire(fixed connection) to my internet service provider (company) should be no worry since the data cant be read by an unknown home user.

With the "going through private networks" I shouldnt visit my "bank-via-internet" account" for instance since *someone* could sniff my passwords/codes

so all you who talk about checking emails and stuff while on the road do You use paid subscriptions via 3G/gprs or do You just hope no one will sniff?
                    BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

(just to clarify a bit of misinformation, L2TP, PPTP aren't authentication methods, PAP and CHAP are. I guess I've just never heard of anyone with L2TP authenticated with PAP.)

Well, with a wired connection, you're exposed to fewer people, but it still depends. With cable internet (well, haven't looked into it in a while, so they might have changed), everybody connected to the same drop point you are, are on the same LAN. So, yeah, it can be possible for them to sniff your packets without a man-in-the-middle type attack.

I'm also curious about what other people here do, but my other geek friends who wardrive do it just for the hell of it, and not do any actual work.
                      ...it never ends

Comment

For basic e-mail and web surfing, I don't really worry about it. If I have to work on one of the servers, I will only use a wired connection.

Comment

and for protecting my carpc from intrusion, worms etc, I use a firewall?
                          BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

Working...
                          X