Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Speed Wireless Internet across Canada

Hi to every one !

Recently (2 weeks ago) I found that Canadian Rogers Company started to offer Wireless High Speed Internet across Canada.

http://www.shoprogers.com/business/i...4A2T6810WCFNH5

This monday I ordered this package and today's morning I received it.

It is regular size modem (like cable modem) with just two plugs - power (+13V, 1A) and RG-45. I installed it in my car today and tried to use with my Carputer. It is amazing - I drived thru whole city (Montreal, QC) and it did work. I tuned on some internet radio station with 128bps rate and listened for it for a couple of hours during driving. I found that sometimes the connection was dropped - usually in long tunnels or in some downtown areas. This was probably because I located my modem in the trunk and the modem's antenna did not get good reception.

The real speed which I got was: downloading from Microsoft.com around 190-210 kb/sec, so it is aprox 1.6MBit.
    Rogers sad that it should work 1.5Mbit Down and 250kbit UP.

It cost here 49$ CAD per month plus 99$ CAD modem.

So congratulations to all Canadian carputer owners - this is the real way to get internet in your car.

It works in all major cities of Canada. The frequency is 2.5GHz.

If you need more info on modem brand and protocol used - ask me

Sorry for my english
    Vladimir
    -------------------------------------------------
    BMW X5 Carputer Project
    Finished: 85%
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...lots-pics.html

Nice.

Comment

i seen this 1 or 2 weeks ago i thought of my car pc but i am not going to get it just yet. i cant justify having 2 internet bills of 50.00

Comment

sup ya'll ... i have a really good friend that works there, so if you have any detailed questions about this service, i can get inside info for you...

personally what i have heard, is that the service is only reliable in urban areas, and can be very intermittent when in motion (ie, in your car).
        Blaz3 [|||||||||-] 88%

Comment

Originally posted by Blaz3 View Post
          personally what i have heard, is that the service is only reliable in urban areas, and can be very intermittent when in motion (ie, in your car).
          yeah, thats what i heard, that it doesnt "hop" between towers that well, not as well as cellphones anyway

Comment

ok ..so who is the hardware supplier... only so many systems out there to choose from that actually work...
            aperto, navini etc. not many offer 2.5ghz systems....
            69 Mustang
            408 clevor AFD 2v heads - Viper T56
            Audio:RUX-C701, PXA-H701, MRV-F545, (2) MRD-M1005, SIR-SC-H1, DMHD1000, Dayton Audio: (2) RS180-4, (2) RS28F-4, (2) RSS265HO-44 DVC

Comment

Originally posted by crabbdaddy View Post
              ok ..so who is the hardware supplier... only so many systems out there to choose from that actually work...
              dunno, but ur whatever says ur from georgia, so i dont think you need to worry about it, as this is for a company in canada :T

Comment

The modem that Rogers uses for wireless broadband internet is the Expedience RSU-2310A, made by Nextnet wireless.

Spec sheet HERE
                Blaz3 [|||||||||-] 88%

Comment

wireless

Originally posted by FC3S View Post
                  dunno, but ur whatever says ur from georgia, so i dont think you need to worry about it, as this is for a company in canada :T
                  2.5Ghz spectrum is available within the US also. several systems are on a trial basis all over georgia and florida. from florida... jacksonville, daytona beach to atlanta and especially rural areas in between... using 2.5ghz, 2.4ghz (not wifi) and 900 mhz.... its more cost effective to roll out broadband wireless in a rural area than DSL. business case works.... the speeds are about 1/2 of cable which is 6mb around here comcast...if you can get cable... 256k-3mb for broadband wireless.... im currently connected by a 5mb wireless connection that spans 32 miles via a couple wireless hops... while i sit in the middle of bfe in a log home....
                  not worried just looking ahead as to what type systems may be in the US soon.
                  69 Mustang
                  Audio:RUX-C701, PXA-H701, MRV-F545, (2) MRD-M1005, SIR-SC-H1, DMHD1000, Dayton Audio: (2) RS180-4, (2) RS28F-4, (2) RSS265HO-44 DVC

Comment

wireless info

Originally posted by Blaz3 View Post
                    The modem that Rogers uses for wireless broadband internet is the Expedience RSU-2310A, made by Nextnet wireless.

Spec sheet HERE

thx blaz3 .. have not heard of those guys... so the hand off between towers kinda like cell... drops sometimes etc. what speed mph does it still maintain a signal... and what throughput did ya get.... yes maybe trivial... but when we test different systems we see what speeds we can reach and still receive/transmit data... yes the passenger is having all the fun..
                    69 Mustang

Comment

not worried just looking ahead as to what type systems may be in the US soon.

gotcha gotcha, keep in mind though, americans usually get stuff a lot earlier than we do

plus you guys can get EVDO, we have to pay RIDICULOUS amounts for it, so it isnt even worth it, this is the best thing thats come out so far for us

its $50 a month, so i dont think a lot of people will be getting it, but for those who need mobile internet its the only viable solution

and it only works in the major cities, so, if u have to leave the city, byebye internet

Comment

broadband wireless

Originally posted by FC3S View Post
                        gotcha gotcha, keep in mind though, americans usually get stuff a lot earlier than we do

plus you guys can get EVDO, we have to pay RIDICULOUS amounts for it, so it isnt even worth it, this is the best thing thats come out so far for us

its $50 a month, so i dont think a lot of people will be getting it, but for those who need mobile internet its the only viable solution

and it only works in the major cities, so, if u have to leave the city, byebye internet
                        yeah... i hear ya.. only speed we can get down here.. south ga.. is 128k if we are lucky.. with a 56k download and thats alltel and around 80 bucks a month when its all said and done....most towers are still 1x service around here.... and it drops anything over 15mph.... so its almost there.. when they upgrade the towers it will be great.
                        the broadband wireless is starting out... just like when the cell companies started out... it will get there... takes time. but man its sweet.. .the speeds are great. and its a true IP based system. really both technologies into one design.. future is gonna be fast and mobile.... cant wait
                        69 Mustang

Comment

so the hand off between towers kinda like cell... drops sometimes etc. what speed mph does it still maintain a signal... and what throughput did ya get
                          ya the hand off is crapy, and they will not help or support you if your moving around. They will only support ppl that are in a stand still location, within an open area (ie. modem next to window or open door etc..). I personally have not tried it in a car... As for the throughput the theoretical max that they advertise is 1.5 Mbps download and 256 Kbps upload... although my friend says some customers have reported speeds exceeding 3mbps in certain areas of Toronto.
                          Blaz3 [|||||||||-] 88%

Comment

Heres a link to the rogers site
                            Blaz3 [|||||||||-] 88%

Comment

its mobile internet for canadians, who cares if it cuts out sometimes, lol

its a solution for us, lol

Comment

Working...
                              X