27dbm booster= 27dbi???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27dbm booster= 27dbi???

I just bought myself a 9.5 dbi gain antenna to replace my 2dbi antenna rubber duck that came with my engenius senao usb adapter Ext-362. Will the gain be any be any noticable increse in range of meters regarding reception /sending signal?

They also had a 27dbM booster that needs an extra power supply to work.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/802-11b-g-WiFi-A...QQcmdZViewItem
    this unit looks very neat and small. costs five times the 9.5dbi antenna. I note it doesnt say 27dbi, it says dbm. Can anyone give an estimated performance increse?

2dbi =
    9.5dbi =
    27dbm =

I plan to have the usb unit hidden and maybe have the antenna sticking up or foldable down from some nice place in my car.
    Black SolarCell Portable Bluetooth Gps reciever for sale, Contact me!
    BMW E46 320 Touring project thread, making the perfect multimedia car ;)
    BMW E46 WORKLOG

from the ad

The TX is rated at a power level of 500mW or 27dBm at 6.0V DC.

Whats a regular wifi card put out 10mw? 50mw? so thats about 10x-50x times better.

Comment

http://www.swisswireless.org/wlan_calc_en.html

This should explain it all.
      Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryWoods View Post
        Do You think that the 27dbm will make my eyballs fly high in the air of excitement compared to the 9,5dbi rubber duck?

My Wifi adapter has 200mw power. I have ordered the 9.5 rubber duck but was just curious if the rubber duck would be outperformed greatly by the booster

Iīm not sure about what Iīm paying for but some say they get hundreds of meter with range with this and that device, some are very happy that they achieved connection with their home from 50 meters away. When Iīm driving in a town looking for open networks Iīm not gonna pay like 100bucks extra if the difference between booster and 9.5 dbi antenna is like 20 meters...
        BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

The "booster" is basically an amp. It's not going to add any power to your card. It's always going to be 27dbm. I'd just stick with the card. And yes, having an amp that close to you is a pretty bad idea.

Comment

"Close to me" ? do You suggest that the booster should be mounted outside of my car?
            BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpc View Post
              "Close to me" ? do You suggest that the booster should be mounted outside of my car?
              yes and spray some water on it that improves the signal.

Comment

You shouldn't even need a booster or amp. If you can't connect to your wireless network then move your car. Or move your access point.

Comment

You shouldn't even need a booster or amp. If you can't connect to your wireless network then move your car. Or move your access point.
                  Ok, well I know the basic way to extend a signal range is to install active repeaters between the to points. But in a car that canīt be done so thatīs why I need a strong amplifier that throws away my signal as far as possible, but I want this equipment to fit under my trunk floor, (..also okey to have a antenna sticking up somewhere folding don on top of front windshield or back in the trunk if that improves anything)
                  BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpc View Post
                    Ok, well I know the basic way to extend a signal range is to install active repeaters between the to points. But in a car that canīt be done so thatīs why I need a strong amplifier that throws away my signal as far as possible, but I want this equipment to fit under my trunk floor, (..also okey to have a antenna sticking up somewhere folding don on top of front windshield or back in the trunk if that improves anything)
                    Okay look at it this way. Your amp is a bull horn. You want to talk to someone on the far end of a football field. Without the amp you can't quite hear each other. So you use the bull horn. Now the other side can hear you, but since they don't have one you can't hear them. It's kinda over simplifying everything but basically that's what is going to happen. Now I know someone here is going to say that the amp will help with receiving the signal too. And they're right, to a point. It will also amplify all the noise as well. It will help a little, but not as much as using a better antenna. Any antenna that can fold down ain't going to cut it.

Comment

ok, so with the 9,5dbi rubber duck (which is foldable) I will have a bit better sending and reception but not much....
                      So what antenna do You suggest?
                      BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

Well there's an access point mounted in my garage, so the internal antenna's on my laptops just work. When I'm out wardriving I have a 10db collinear antenna attached to my orinoco card.

This is an older pic, don't have that car anymore. It sees stuff out to about a half mile, from inside my car. The card runs in monitor mode though, I won't let it transmit. Don't really need it to for what I use it for. The cable coming off it is lmr-400.

Comment

Hehe.. looks quite like an advanced install. My 9,5 rubber duck is just 15" tall, does an extra 0,5db add that much to the leinght of the antenna?
                          BMW E46 WORKLOG

Comment

It all depends on the antenna. I built mine. More of a hobby than anything. Actually think it's a bit higher than 10db, I don't remember how many elements are in it. I'd have to take it apart to find out, and I really don't want to do that.

Comment

It all depends on the antenna. I built mine. More of a hobby than anything. Actually think it's a bit higher than 10db, I don't remember how many elements are in it. I'd have to take it apart to find out, and I really don't want to do that.

Thats a omni no elements.

Yagis have elements.

Comment

Working...
                              X