Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I FTP into my carpc? Best way to put files in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I FTP into my carpc? Best way to put files in?

Hope this isn't a re-re-re-repost!

My carpc will have a usb wireless adapter. The pc is running XP. I'd like to be able to move files from my Mac (where my music and videos are stored) to the carpc while it's in the driveway. I'm running a wireless router in the house that sends a signal outside.

On my xbox I was able to ftp into the xbox and just move files that way. It was very simple. Is it possible to do the same to the carpc? If not, does anyone know an easy way to move files from my Mac to XP? I don't want to remove the hard drive because I will want to constantly update music and videos, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by ckny View Post
    Hope this isn't a re-re-re-repost!

My carpc will have a usb wireless adapter. The pc is running XP. I'd like to be able to move files from my Mac (where my music and videos are stored) to the carpc while it's in the driveway. I'm running a wireless router in the house that sends a signal outside.

On my xbox I was able to ftp into the xbox and just move files that way. It was very simple. Is it possible to do the same to the carpc? If not, does anyone know an easy way to move files from my Mac to XP? I don't want to remove the hard drive because I will want to constantly update music and videos, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Depends on what you wanna do. If it's LARGE scale (gigs at a time), then I'd suggest gettin a cheap external HDD for file transfer. If it's a few hundred megs at a shot, then setup an ftp server on yer carputer machine and don't forget to firewall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

thanks - i'm not really familiar with ftp stuff but i think i'll take a look at filezilla. i'm sure i can figure it out

Comment

Wsftp Server

heya, try WS FTP SERVER, i used this prog in the days of 56k to tranfer school work to and from home, worked well. Relatively easy to setup. If your moving gigs then yeah like TheLandYacht said....a removable hdd would be the best. Dont forget to disable anonymous login!

Comment

Why choose FTP?

The much easier way to sync files would be to use something like ViceVersa Pro.

Comment

just checked out the website. viceversa looks good the only problem is the main files are on a mac and it appears this program supports windows only

Comment

Originally posted by ckny View Post
              just checked out the website. viceversa looks good the only problem is the main files are on a mac and it appears this program supports windows only
              Syncing your iTunes files?
              Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

2 gig thumbdrives are common now, & a spare laptop hardrive in a enclosure is also a great easy way to move stuff back & forth on different platforms too
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

ftp? isnt that overkill?

Set up windows shares. Have finder connect to the shares with go->connect to server (smb://ipnumber) (example smb://192.168.1.75) and use username guest with no password.
                  Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

that's more along the lines of what i was looking for. purdoom - this may sound stupid but how do i discover the ip address of the car pc to set this up?

Comment

to find ip address:

gui way -
                      control panel, network connections, double click on the ethernet connection, look at the second tab

command prompt way -
                      start, run
                      run the command 'cmd'
                      at the command prompt, run the command 'ipconfig'

As an alternative, you can use the computer name you specified when installing windows. For example, my car is named 'waffles' (i set it at windows xp install, i could change the computer name under control panel->system if i wanted to) so I connect to smb://waffles in connect to server under os x.

Whatever you do, double check you checked 'let users change this folders contents' under sharing in XP

(If I typoed anything, my apologies I am not near an XP box right now)

Comment

cool, just one more question. once i connect through windows sharing on my mac I can access all folders or just one shared? do i need to set this up? actually - instead of asking you all these questions i can probably look it up online. what should i look for... smb sharing? what's it called?

Comment

Just the ones you have shared. (You can share your whole hard drive in my computer)

Windows file sharing uses the samba protocol, which has been reverse engineered to work on unix and linux as smb. The commands to use smb on linux and unix arent how you use it on OS X though.

Go ahead and ask questions, this stuff is pretty easy to get going then you don't need to look it up again.

Comment

worked great (moving over 40 gigs of music now) - thanks purdoom!

Comment

Working...
                            X