Antenna Array, each with 1W amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna Array, each with 1W amp

So I am still in the process of figuring out the best way to set up my Wifi in my car. I saw cop cars with the 4 antennas on the trunk lid and I was thinking that that was a great idea. I could split the signal from my engenius 200mw USB 4-ways and on each split I could use a 1W amplifier.

What do you guys think? Will it work well? I want some insane range for a non insane price, and this seems to be the best option, but i dont know much about the 7 dbi omni antennas, so I'm not sure if they will interfere with each other or what. Let me know, thx

I got an even better idea this time. instead of those 12" 7dbi antennas I'll use this http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2403urnmob-w.php and mount it on the shelf by the rear windshield. Either I can put 1 on each side by the pillars, or make an array of 4...

It would still be nice to know what effect omni direction antennas have on each other when they are split from one radio... Please let me know, if you do. =)

Comment

Originally posted by badinstincts View Post
      So I am still in the process of figuring out the best way to set up my Wifi in my car. I saw cop cars with the 4 antennas on the trunk lid and I was thinking that that was a great idea. I could split the signal from my engenius 200mw USB 4-ways and on each split I could use a 1W amplifier.

What do you guys think? Will it work well? I want some insane range for a non insane price, and this seems to be the best option, but i dont know much about the 7 dbi omni antennas, so I'm not sure if they will interfere with each other or what. Let me know, thx
      Not with out some serious engineering. What you are attempting is called a "phased array", and it is not as easy as you think. You can't amp each antenna, you amp a single feed line, and then need some expensive equipment (or it can be done cheaper with some very fancy math) and then split it.

What you see on Police cars are "RECIEVERS ONLY" Those 4 antennas are "lojack" recievers, and using some expensive reciever technology, they determine which antenna gets the signal first, and that is how they determine the direction of a stolen vehicle. THEY DO NOT TRANSMIT A SIGNAL AT ALL.

Michael

Here is a link, enjoy the math in the middle of the page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

aha, thank you for replying. I did not know. So its not a good idea to use an array of omni directional antennas?
        I kinda do use one at the moment. At home, sometimes my dad takes off the dsl antenna after midnight, so I secretly put an antenna inside the dsl modem, sometimes he reconnects the external one. I get better range now than I did with the 1 external antenna...

Comment

aha, thank you for replying. I did not know. So its not a good idea to use an array of omni directional antennas?
          I kinda do use one at the moment. At home, sometimes my dad takes off the dsl antenna after midnight, so I secretly put an antenna inside the dsl modem, sometimes he reconnects the external one. I get better range now than I did with the 1 external antenna...
          That is mostlikely "diversity antenna" which is different than phased. It also requires circuitry to accomplish where by the unit "chooses" the better reception antenna. The reason why the internal antenna works better than the external antenna can be explained if need be, but for now, just take it as granted that for some reason the internal antenna is working better.

Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Why not just get a better WiFi solution to begin with?

Something like this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=999555

Darque is running it in his truck and has had exceptional results as well.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

umm, i already have that... i kinda mentioned it above... ""I could split the signal from my engenius 200mw USB ""

no the internal antenna does not work better. but together they work better than if there was only the external antenna...

Comment

oops!

sorry...
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

umm, i already have that... i kinda mentioned it above... ""I could split the signal from my engenius 200mw USB ""

no the internal antenna does not work better. but together they work better than if there was only the external antenna...
                  What do you mean "work better". Still because of diversity, not because of being phased.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X