GM's OnStar: There's an app for that

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM's OnStar: There's an app for that

I guess GM is striking back - here's an app for keeping track of your OnStar equipped vehicle.

What I want to know is how you can check things like fuel levels, etc. if your car is parked (and presumably turned off). Does OnStar cache 'state information' in the cloud about your vehicle when you shut down, or does it wake the car up when pinged?

From CnnMoney.com

You can get lots of information off the CAN bus even when your vehicle is off. Its possible that OnStar stays connected to the cellular network and can push the state upon request. It may also wake up periodically and "check in".
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

hope it will also work with the pontiac brand as well even if it is not a GM "brand" anymore.
      English is not my first language so if I say something weird just say it to me and i try to be clearer :) :)

Comment

This is actually similar to what I'm trying to do already in my car with my carpc system in my already GM vehicle. If they open sourced this (so that I can achieve my goals which go beyond this apps abilities), it may convince me to actually use my onstar system...

However, I doubt it'll be open source at all so I'll have to do it the hard way anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by Penzance View Post
          Does OnStar cache 'state information' in the cloud about your vehicle when you shut down, or does it wake the car up when pinged?
          Sounds like something we could do using the OSDash service, whatever happened to that?
          TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
          BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
          BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDog View Post
            Sounds like something we could do using the OSDash service, whatever happened to that?
            It's moving along slowly. We hope to show off some OSDash stuff at the AFKFest.

Comment

Working...
            X