Windows 7 Touch UI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Touch UI

According to Engadget.com, a company known as UI Centric is releasing a Touch UI for windows 7 tablets. From the way it looks, it could be very useful for use in the car as well. Does anyone think this could be a new way to use a CarPC?

Full story here.

A video of it in use can be found here.
    My 2007 Jeep Wrangler Worklog

That page flip looks cool but it would get very annoying very fast having to do that. Not really seeing anything carPC front ends don't already do-just a little more polish on the graphics.
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Thats true, and I totally agree about the page flip but theres one thing I see thats a big plus. Very little setup. If its simple with great graphics it will be a huge win in my book.

Comment

I like it.
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by capcadetjc View Post
          Thats true, and I totally agree about the page flip but theres one thing I see thats a big plus. Very little setup.
          Great Point

Comment

There's some screen shots available with the press release here.

It looks a lot like the Windows mobile 6.5 interface, made bigger to fit the screen and with transparency.

Comment

Apparently there is competition in this area - another company, Mirabyte, is also working on a "finger friendly" interface for touch screens with their FrontFace application.

Comment

Originally posted by Penzance View Post
                Apparently there is competition in this area - another company, Mirabyte, is also working on a "finger friendly" interface for touch screens with their FrontFace application.
                Nice find, that one looks like it might be more carpc friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Penzance View Post
                  Its a chromium web browser and some fancy scripting thats it...first one looks far more promising.

Comment

Centrafuse does feel old. The lack of animation in the UI is no longer a requirement for low power computers.

Comment

the page flip is laughable. It's like the page-flip effect in adobe premier. Only used by amateurs for purposes of pure novelty.
                      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

^^^ I totally agree with that. I think this thing of trying to mimic real object is way overplayed. Digital should remain digital.

This reminded me of this article on the upcoming Windows Phone 7 :

One of the more recent trends in UI design has been the attempt to make the digital appear analog. It arguably started with the NeXT OS, which had photorealistic icons and used clever grayscale techniques to give three-dimensional depth to windows, scroll bars and other elements. Today, Apple's iPhone compass app looks like it might be more at home on an 18th-century clipper ship, and the voice recorder app looks at home in a recording studio somewhere around 1950 -- tap on the "microphone" and the VU meter will react much as it would in real life. Google's added subtle 3D effects to Android's app scrolling. I haven't thought that much about this trend until I recently spent some time using Windows Phone 7.

It's perhaps a minor issue but one of the things I like about WP7 is that it's not a digital UI pretending to be analog. The user interface is flat. There are no photorealistic depictions of real world items, no shading, and no 3D effects. Everything is conveyed through the use of fonts, shapes and color. It's digital and it's proud. Overall, I like it, and the more I use it, the more I prefer it.
                        (Endgadget)

Look at the picture above and not the absence of fake buttons, or 3D icons or shades.

Same look happens on Windows Media Center. No fake buttons either, you click on the words: Media, Movies, Recorded TV, etc. No square frame delimiting anything. You don't need to really. Even in a touchscreen.

One of the things I don't like in all the front ends I've seen to date is this. You have to draw a square or circle for every single function. Even if it's just for displaying the freaking date or time, there a little square frame around it. Most if not all front ends suffer from this "buttonitiis", they populate the screen with buttons and think it's cool.

My first front end should be something like that above and/ore like windows media center combination. Ideally a scrolling digital paper like that with no buttons would work for me.

I think the above image is way cooler than if it were populated with small icons and buttons and squares with shadow effects.

Comment

Did apple design the compass app?
                          They have 3D analogies in the UI for handling objects like lists, but I don't find in general they're trying to mimic an old way of doing things. Pulling a screen from left to right isn't analog or digital. It's just a quick and easy way to see what's logically off to the right.
                          I try to move stuff around in centrafuse all the time. Doesn't work.

Comment

Yes, the compass with the mahogany theme is a stock app and came from Apple, as did the 50's analog mic.

Pulling a screen from left to right, where did the author (or me) mentioned that? That's exactly like you navigate on the WinPhone 7, as far as I understand?

Moving around things is cool, I agree, but I don't a good example of replicating the analog world? If anything it's neutral?

If you have an iPhone, look at the icon shades for the 3D effects, the bottom bar with the shelf like theme, etc. I think that was the point.

Comment

I particularly dislike when a button or frame has glare added to it. I mean, it's electronic and they add in the glare!

I don't deny that the 3D look is eye catching at first. But over time, I prefer the flat digital look, or better yet, a smoother digital only format. Simpler is better and can be even more attractive than simulated 3D

I like the look of that Windows Phone interface but word must not have gotten back to the folks that designed the aero theme just yet :-)
                              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                              Want to:
                              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                              X