Year in review from an auto industry perspective

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year in review from an auto industry perspective

telematicsupdate.com has posted their year in review article. It makes for interesting reading!

Thanks, interesting read.

A. “Smartphone’s” are aspirational and connectivity drives electronic feature growth. The consumer desires to connect new devices to the car and download apps, in spite of the cost of “data” plans and potential distraction issues. Ford and others have announced app stores. Ford AppLink, is a downloadable software upgrade for Sync to access new Smartphone apps (e.g. Pandora internet radio, Stitcher “smart radio” and OpenBeak). The rollout of 4G will be a key subject of the 2011 CTIA and will accelerate the adoption of new devices and multimedia apps in the car. How will these new “aspirational” consumer devices, such as the iPad, be integrated into the vehicle and how will new app stores actually work?
    Yeah, talk about the iPad too, enough of the Ford Sync. Talk what you want about the iPad, it can be Jailbroken. Ford Sync...not so sure (yet).

For example the auto industry is contemplating GENIVI, a Linux based standard for Infotainment
    What? Linux + infotainment...what does that mean I wonder.
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
      Yeah, talk about the iPad too, enough of the Ford Sync. Talk what you want about the iPad, it can be Jailbroken. Ford Sync...not so sure (yet).
      The iPad will never be anything other then a very very very tiny percentage of hobbyists-theres not going to be media attention because it doesn't have a market or really effect anything. The other systems discussed have the potential to be widely used.

What? Linux + infotainment...what does that mean I wonder.
      http://meego.com/
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I'm not sure I got your point about the iPad? The author said the consumer wants to bring more devices to the car, like the iPad and I agreed.

Do you disagree that the consumer wants to integrate devices he already has, or that the iPad can be such a device?

Forgot about the Meego, I don't even think it has anything to do with Linux for whatever reason, as it should be perhaps, like MS Office, Photoshop, the OS should matter.
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I'm not sure I got your point about the iPad? The author said the consumer wants to bring more devices to the car, like the iPad and I agreed.

Do you disagree that the consumer wants to integrate devices he already has, or that the iPad can be such a device?
          Ignore my post...completely misread what you were saying lol
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Working...
          X