The Future of CarPCs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of CarPCs...

Hi, What do you think about the future of CarPCs? (aka "Automobile Infotainment Systems")

Will OEM solutions like OnStar, MMI, iDrive, etc continue to dominate along with 3rd party proprietary solutions from Pioneer, Alpine, etc?

What could be done to spark broader adoption of do independent/open sourced efforts - like those discussed on this board?

Here is an interesting (one-sided) article that reminded me I've been wanting to discuss this.

The Future Is Here: Six of the Best Automotive Infotainment Systems
    2000 Audio A4 Avant
    CARPC --- 95% Complete / -50% WAF (wife acceptance factor)
    • Intel D525
    • Xonar DS
    • Mo-Co-So Case
    • Xenarc 706TSA
    • Directed HDRadio
    • RideRunner w/ Modified Reborn Skin
    • Winamp
    • ASIO 2.1
    • Console
    • Windows 7

Plenty of threads about the future of car pc. What are you adding to them really (if you've read them)?

Now as for the oem devices...I find it hard to believe Ford comes in 3rd behind iDrive And Government Motors?

Not much praise for the GM system on Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5763654/gms-my...ee-years-later

No mention of the Acura or the Infiniti system, one the best there is, specially regarding user friendliness? Very poorly researched and one sided indeed.
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
      Plenty of threads about the future of car pc. What are you adding to them really (if you've read them)?

Now as for the oem devices...I find it hard to believe Ford comes in 3rd behind iDrive And Government Motors?

Not much praise for the GM system on Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5763654/gms-my...ee-years-later

No mention of the Acura or the Infiniti system, one the best there is, specially regarding user friendliness? Very poorly researched and one sided indeed.
      +1. i am going to try to mess with the ford my-touch system this weekend at the auto show, but it is hard to believe that onstar, and the hated i-drive made top of the list...(come on-- one knob to control ALL functions of the car?!?)
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
      X