AFKfest 2009 - Shaun Newman - Car computer install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFKfest 2009 - Shaun Newman - Car computer install

Rob Wray from mp3Car goes through Shaun's car computer install. Shaun has a fusion brain to control temperature, a 4-way line-in splitter, a CarNetix USB hub, a mic for voice commands, a camera for skype, audio amplifiers, this car is loaded!

hard to believe that bucket of components and wiring looked WORSE at the previous meet lol
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

there is surely a way to hide all those wires....
      Carputer to sell : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/vbcl...?do=ad&id=2684

Comment

OMFG it makes the Flux capacitor look like $h!+. I mean its bigger then my install. Why is there so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean I literally have almost the same amount of stuff (under exagerating), but maybe because he decided to put every thing in one location, where as mine is spread out between the front center console, the passenger seat, the rear center console, and way back of the car. It nice to see more people getting into overkill though, lol.

PS: I need to go to AFKfest when my system is done, it looks like fun.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by summer69guy View Post
          there is surely a way to hide all those wires....
          you actually dont see any of it unless your looking inside the trunk thru the car. All you see from the trunk is the sub box and amp

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
            OMFG it makes the Flux capacitor look like $h!+. I mean its bigger then my install. Why is there so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean I literally have almost the same amount of stuff (under exagerating), but maybe because he decided to put every thing in one location, where as mine is spread out between the front center console, the passenger seat, the rear center console, and way back of the car. It nice to see more people getting into overkill though, lol.

PS: I need to go to AFKfest when my system is done, it looks like fun.
            believe it or not there's probably 10-15 more components hidden elsewhere. HD radio, XM, gps, dvd drive, hubs.. all that. Its a hatchback you can only hide so much

Comment

the big block carpc

Comment

Audio digital out

Could you mention something about the 3sixty stuff, I am trying to figure out how to get a good sound output for my carputer project but havent figured it out yet.
                REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
                CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
                LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

Additional mods:
                KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
                Worklog Album

Comment

Originally posted by ARN1382 View Post
                  Could you mention something about the 3sixty stuff, I am trying to figure out how to get a good sound output for my carputer project but havent figured it out yet.
                  Have you even tried connecting a computer to your car audio system to see if it will meet your audio needs/wants?
                  Honestly, you don't know what will sound "good" to you until you take a stab at it.

And until you know what role the 3Sixty plays in an audio install, you have no idea how it could benefit you and your installation.
                  Simply adding a high-dollar piece of specialty equipment that you say used somewhere is not going to make your installation any better.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That's why i asked in first instance

If you have time to flame on my lack of knowledge will you have some time to answer what IS good sound according to you?

If i am asking is because I want to learn something new isn't it?
                    REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]

Additional mods:
                    Worklog Album

Comment

He wasn't flaming you, he was simply being blunt. There is a big difference.

As far as audio, it really all depends on each user. As Darq says, the best thing to do is get a working system going, then once its all set, try the different sound cards till you find one you like.

In my experience, I tried onboard audio, that sucked, I then tried the Sound Blaster Live USB card. I was OK with it until I had alot of problems with the card not starting up because of USB issues. I then decided to update my whole setup to 7.1 surround sound. Because I liked the Sound Blaster so much, I upgraded to a Xtreme Gamer 7.1 card. Its a PCI card because I did not want the USB troubles. I am 100% happy with the Xtreme Gamer and glad I made the purchase. I am sure there are better ones out there, but I am 100% happy. Sound Blaster makes it very easy to use their products. So in the end it all depends on what your ears like. What sounds good to you, may not sound good for me, and what sounds good to me, may not sound good to you. We all hear things different, so I wouldnt go by opinions on sound cards.
                      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

well, maybe i misunderstood, if then, I apologize.

Thank you for the info, I know just the sound card is not the olny thing involved in doing things good, but one of the steps you have to be careful with.

I though the 3sixty was something like an external sound card, but after some research I understood that, was more than just it.
                        REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]

Additional mods:
                        Worklog Album

Comment

If you have time to flame on my lack of knowledge will you have some time to answer what IS good sound according to you?
                          I've got ~50% hearing loss in one ear, so you don't necessarily want my idea of "good sound". My standards are probably lower than most in that regard.

Furthermore, sound quality is pretty subjective. Some people are simply more sensitive to audio quality while others are not. I don't know about your level of "audiophile-ness", so I am certainly not one to judge.

That's why YOU need to run some audio in your vehicle and listen to it. Listen for what you like about the audio quality and what you don't (too much bass, a slight hiss sound, flat mid-range, etc.), then adjust your hardware accordingly.

You may very well be content with onboard sound straight into an amp. You may want digital signal processing. You may want 5.1 surround. You may only want enough bass to annoy your neighbors.

If i am asking is because I want to learn something new isn't it?
                          I think you're going about it the wrong way, then.
                          You need to understand the purpose and function of the 3Sixty line and determine if it something that will be a benefit to your installation and/or your plan, not necessarily where it fits into this user's install.
                          It is very possible that this specific setup has a need for a 3Sixty unit, or has some plans for its capabilities that your install does not.

well, maybe i misunderstood, if then, I apologize.

Thank you for the info, I know just the sound card is not the olny thing involved in doing things good, but one of the steps you have to be careful with.

I though the 3sixty was something like an external sound card, but after some research I understood that, was more than just it.
                          3Sixty isn't a sound card at all.
                          It's a signal processor for car audio.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i suggest you do the same as DP has suggested. Hook it up.. and if it sounds as clear as you want and will go as loud as you want you have no need for the 3sixty or any other kind of DSP. The reason i added the 3sixty was simply the signal coming out of my pc was too low, forcing me to ramp up the gain settings on my amps. It STILL didnt get loud enough and i had amps overheating on me to boot. That was 2 years and 3 carPC's ago. Now the only reason i still have the 3sixty in play is because the 10 channel eQ is tuned to my liking and i'd rather not have to change it inside of software. My dg45fc motherboard onboard audio signal puts out more than enough by default

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post

Furthermore, sound quality is pretty subjective. Some people are simply more sensitive to audio quality while others are not. I don't know about your level of "audiophile-ness", so I am certainly not one to judge.

Sound quality is the abilty to reproduce the original track the most perfectly .

if you talk about subjective thing...it is just an opinion..somme people want more bas..more vocal...etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X