Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mp3Car Forum Members in the NY Times - car computing is catching on.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mp3Car Forum Members in the NY Times - car computing is catching on.

mp3Car forum members Greg Planthaber(profile), Tom Berry(profile), Will Meyer(profile)(blog), and Silvio Fiorito (profile) are highlighted by Peter Wayner in today's NY Times. The article is a follow up to Peter Wayner's visit to the mp3car AFKFest in Baltimore.

For an in-depth tour of Greg's car computer set-up take a look at the video shot at the AFKFest.

If you are new to car computing, watch some videos or read our faq on how to get started.
    Will Meyer's video from AFKfest is also here:

very nice article. it is nice to see car computers starting to get a little more media attention.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

nGhost?
      Ampie Case
      2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
      Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
        nGhost?
        nGhost FTW!

But in all serious, nGhost wasn't mentioned in the article , or in those videos .
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Great article - hopefully more to come.
          Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
          • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
          • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
          • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
          • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

Very cool, thanks for the link. Great article.
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

would've been nice for the online version to have more content and pictures, but it's still pretty cool to be featured in a major newspaper!
              EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
              Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
              Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
              BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
              VoomPC 2

Comment

Congrats - Very nice guys

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito View Post
                  would've been nice for the online version to have more content and pictures, but it's still pretty cool to be featured in a major newspaper!
                  I read the article this morning in the Cars section, and the picture of Greg's setup didn't really do any justice. To the general public, it just looks like a navigation headunit and nothing special.
                  Although, great job to everyone for becoming Times-worthy!

The article wasn't that bad, but I felt the reporter just took the info from the forums and made up a story to make it more attractive. I also think MP3Car should have been mentioned. Free advertising and increase popularity at the same time

just a plebe's .02
                  Thanks!
                  -VJ

Comment

My only regret is that they failed to include my comprehensive deconstruction of Dada and an analysis of the motivations behind its self-proclaimed refusal to accept categorization as an art movement.

Oh, and I there were some pictures too.
                    // 2008.5 CWP MAZDASPEED 3
                    // mp3car showoff thread
                    // appearance & performance mods
                    // computer setup

Comment

I agree that there needs to be more coverage of all the technology that you are all working with. I do think that this is something that Rob and I can help a bit with. For a start, we need more videos of people's installs. If we get raw video, we can edit it and put it up on the blog....hm i wonder if the mp3Car forums could use a video camera that we send to meet up organizers.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
                        I agree that there needs to be more coverage of all the technology that you are all working with. I do think that this is something that Rob and I can help a bit with. For a start, we need more videos of people's installs. If we get raw video, we can edit it and put it up on the blog....hm i wonder if the mp3Car forums could use a video camera that we send to meet up organizers.
                        WHY? When most of us already have cams, hell we had one remote meet already (hooked up Chicago and Florida all day one Saturday this past summer via video conference with two cams at each location).

Why not just decide on a format, suggested length, script, etc., and let us do it.
                        HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                          nGhost FTW!

But in all serious, nGhost wasn't mentioned in the article , or in those videos .
                          Thought it was but it wasn't. I keep forgetting about Centrafuse.
                          Ampie Case
                          2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                          Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                          Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                            Thought it was but it wasn't. I keep forgetting about Centrafuse.
                            it wasn't, but it should have been .
                            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
                              WHY? When most of us already have cams, hell we had one remote meet already (hooked up Chicago and Florida all day one Saturday this past summer via video conference with two cams at each location).

Why not just decide on a format, suggested length, script, etc., and let us do it.
                              really?
                              OK, great. The format should be like the videos that we created at the AFK fest:

Length: no more that 5 minutes
                              Content:
                              1. Video Install tour
                              2. Presentation on technology if someone wants to give a tour of the new RR or Rev FE or some other product, they can also do so.
                              Script: informal
                              Information needed: ideally a first name and last if the forum member does not mind, and their forum name.
                              Format: ideally 1080i, but if not any format is fine, but the better the quality format the better the video will be.
                              Submit File to mp3Car: via ftp account.

Also - how do we let everyone know that you guys are doing a video conference, so that other forum members can plug in or at least watch. Is there some way that I can help.

Also - how do we let everyone know that you guys are doing a video conference, so that other forum members can plug in or at least watch. Is there some way that I can help.

Comment

Working...
                              X