Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Powered Touch Monitor by MIMO, UM-70C

Embed this video

MIMO uses DisplayLink technology to make the 720-S, a 7 inch monitor that has 3 uses for the single USB cable. It gets power over USB, video over USB, and touch input over USB. There are many possible uses for this kind of monitor where any program that has multiple windows, could be spread out to this extra monitor.

There isn't much info in this review. It basically is telling you that this product exists, how it works, and its cool.

How is the video quality?
    What res' does it run?
    How sensitive and accurate is the touch screen?
    How would this work as a primary monitor?

Examples of all of these questions?

How about some good information we can use?
    My CarPC

Comment

Doesn't look very bright either. I can't imagine it being able to be as bright as other monitors being as it gets it's power over usb which is limited to 5v 500mA. The LED backlight in the lilliput eby701's probably uses more than that alone.

Comment

can i connect this to a 15m usb cable?
        my pc is in the trunk...
        would the length of the cable affect the power needed?
        trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

displaylink advertises 10 usb monitors per computer but realistically your limited to 2 for multimedia.

display res is 800x480 but higher res is supported (just no real advantage).

I have yet to see a touch screen that isn't accurate.

No it can't be used as a primary monitor-you lose access to the bios. But if you don't mind that then yes it can.

Send me one....ill write a full review
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

USB does have signal strength issues at some point, but U can just buy a chord that has a boster in line, and it'll work

Comment

Originally posted by trinybwoy View Post
              can i connect this to a 15m usb cable?
              my pc is in the trunk...
              would the length of the cable affect the power needed?
              i would think you can use a shorter cable then that, i dont know too many cars that are 45 feet long!

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                i would think you can use a shorter cable then that, i dont know too many cars that are 45 feet long!
                lmao 3m/15feet
                lol
                i should have proof-read my post
                trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

I would like to use them as headrest monitors. But then how well would they play multimedia?
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Yeah, somebody must test this. I just checked at the store, not much more info.

Does it work well with resume from hibernation? What about hybrid sleep with windows 7? Does it play blu-ray movies (certified drivers for that). Is there an option to feed real power, and use the USB just for data? (I mean, how bright can this be from usb only?).

I'd buy two to use in my headrests, if I had good answers for all those questions. I'd hate to have to unplug and plug them again for it to work after resume (as I've heard it can happen to other USB monitors).

Comment

rippling- none of those worries should be realized. usb monitors use DisplayLink technology, its a standardized format specifically designed to add monitors over usb connections. so theyre all basically the same. the -ONLY- downside right now is the lack of bios support- but i hear ati might be coming out with usb ports on their video cards just for displaylink monitors (that would be AWESOME)

the brightness is the same as any screen ive seen. LED technology has gotten good enough that you can get a lot of freakin light out of 1a of power. try staring at a 5w led flashlight, youll understand!

Comment

@rippling:
                        DisplayLink over USB 2.0 has limited quality. These monitors cannot be used for hi-def video playback and even standard def video struggles unless you have a completely empty usb bus. Once the USB 3.0 displaylink monitors come out then you can truly use them as replacement monitors.

As far as resume/hibernation support....not a problem.

No..no option to feed external power.....and truthfully you really don't need to. These monitors don't need more then 400mA for a 400nit LED-backlit screen...500mA is plenty.

@trader:
                        Thats a lot more then just "adding usb ports to video cards"...it has to do with using GPU acceleration routed directly to a usb stream. Aka blu-ray playback and gaming on compatible monitors and no more CPU load.

Comment

Yes, I suspect they must be great for extending your desktop with a touchscreen, specially as shown with photoshop. You just click on a layer, etc.

Now the main idea about using them as headrest is the ability to play movies. Especially cartoons, but I'd like to know if they would play well blu-rays, or at least ripped blu-rays. I suspect this will not work, specially since I would need TWO monitors for the headrests.

If in that scenario it plays standard dvd quality movies, it might be doable, but I'm not sure if the price is right then. But then again we're talking about two units working simultaneously...I'm skeptic.

Comment

The mimo doesn't have any other ports (for power or anything)
                            HOWEVER the liliput 7 inch usb touch monitor DOES have an optional power out. So it can get brighter. Same 800x480 res. I did a compare video with more detail which should be up in a few days.

This wasn't really meant to be a review, so ill see us getting one of these out to a forum member to do a full review.

Edit:
                            Ill see about hooking up > 2 of these to see if it works, and ill see about video quality playing back some raw HD content.

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                              The mimo doesn't have any other ports (for power or anything)
                              HOWEVER the liliput 7 inch usb touch monitor DOES have an optional power out. So it can get brighter.
                              I'm guessing you meant power in? Are you sure its brighter when plugged in or does it just allow for dual sources?

Good idea with testing multiple units at once...i don't think i've seen anything official looking at that aspect.

Comment

Working...
                              X