iPad First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad First Impressions

Overall the iPad is a great device and will have some really good mobile applications. The best way to describe it is to say that it just feels right.

The problem with the Wifi version is that it doesn't have that GPS chip that the 3g does.
    While I plan to tether my iPad to my iPhone for 3g, and initially thought I'd just get the Wifi version, because it doesn't have the chip - I'm holding out for the 3g. And I can't wait to have it in my car.

That said, we do have a wifi version here in the house and WOW! It's wonderful.

Comment

How will the I pad work for a car pc? will it be a good unit for a car pc? How is the sound card because I run amps and subs i still want an excellent sounding system

Comment

But will it blend?
        [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko[/media]

Gary (-;
        OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
        OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
        mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

Originally posted by chunkyks View Post
          But will it blend?

Gary (-;
          i don't think that was fair-- he had to fold it in half to fit it! using the same idea, he could do a whole car...

they should have just built a ipad-sized blender...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by chunkyks View Post
            But will it blend?

Gary (-;
            AWESOME! Totally AWESOME!

Did you see how it was still working even after he smashed the screen?
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Great review, Sean. I think I need to pony up the $100 to become an iPad devel and put a front end on that thing that will play music and do video at the very least.
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                Great review, Sean. I think I need to pony up the $100 to become an iPad devel and put a front end on that thing that will play music and do video at the very least.
                Your planning on writing something?
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                  Yay, I'd love to see this. I'd buy it. If it can stream music (Pandora? whatever plays at Amazon, etc. when you go shopping) and video (you tube, news) wirelessly to my other computer, even better! The passenger would have a wireless screen to send content to the whole car! How awesome would that be?
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                    Your planning on writing something?
                    Maybe. I dunno. I have so little spare time already, but even a teeny app that has a couple of big buttons and plays music or video with a nice skin on it would answer the mail at least a little bit.

I understand you can access the music in the new SDK and video too. Getting it to do some other stuff like autodim or display your map position might be doable as well. Certainly the location information is available.

It would be fun to see what the limits are on this device.
                    Want to:

Comment

I think anything would work better than the mini iTunes we seem to have now.
                      Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Good review, but i too have played with the ipad, and for what it cost, it seems like the Shuttle is way better, and way cheaper. Not to mention the shuttle (being a simple intel board) is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to "mod", "upgrade", and "trick out".
                        The only thing it seems to me that the ipad offers is a giant iPhone. and personally, other than the great accelerometer, and the easy "app" idea (which i'd like to see done in dotNet and not java, BLEH!), iPhones are pretty useless unless your just a mindless drone who doesn't care to really get creative or intuitive with there hardware.

Comment

I am getting one for my wife for her birthday, when i do i want ot make a mount for it to go in my car just cause and see how it works. I have a Scion XB and i think i will make something that comes out of the storage pocket so it cna sit there

Comment

Originally posted by bigguy View Post
                            I am getting one for my wife for her birthday, when i do i want ot make a mount for it to go in my car just cause and see how it works. I have a Scion XB and i think i will make something that comes out of the storage pocket so it cna sit there
                            Be sure to check out http://ram-mount.com/
                            They have virtually every type of vehicle mount for every type of electronic device you can think of. And a litte inside scoop, when you buy a product that has a good steel/aluminum mount with it or sold sepereatly, they probably just bought it from here and are reselling it to you at a higher price, with their logo on it of course.

Comment

Oooh, I didn't realize I was a mindless drone. Thanks for filling me in!

Sent from my iPad.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X